Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For Once in My Life - Stevie Wonder

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by NJL, Jan 7, 2003.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    do any of you play this tune live? do you use your own groove or do you go with the jamerson version or both?

i have to learn 12 new tunes by tomorrow night and i am not looking forward to having to learn this one (well i really am, but i know it will take a while to get the groove). it's just going to be a lot of work!!! :(

2. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I worked out this song a few years ago just for the fun of it (I was on a Stevie Wonder kick that day). If I were to perform this live, I would definately stick to the original bassline; or slight derivations there of. As with a lot of Stevie Wonder tunes, the bassline is something that really sticks out as a recognizable part by the average listening idiot... errr.. person in this tune.

You'd have to be dead to not find the groove and hit it immediately with this song. :D

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Cop the basic groove and some of the signature lines and then do the rest on your own

Mike

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    do you think it would be out of taste to do jamerson's groove for about a month of gigs and changing it? i have really started to dig jamerson for the past few months and i may need to get it out of my system.

the band leader for this group doesn't seem to mind if i play his groove, but would be happy if i played my own lil' groove as well.

thanks for your first reply...

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Jamerson was the best and we should pay homage to him. On the other hand, we can teach a chimp to play the line. It takes little creativity to copy others work. If you are an artist, you are obligated to make the line your own.

I once was fired from a band - there was a lot of bad blood. They were so mad that they wnet back to the studio erased my parts on the recordings and had their new bassist re-record my part.

He actually recorded the exact bass line that I had played. Later on, I met hi and he turned out to be a really nice guy. My wife and I took him out to dinner. I asked him why he recorded my parts exactly. He said that he liked them so much - they fit the music perfectly. My response was that he could NEVER play my parts as well as I could.

Vic Wooten cannot play your parts as well as you can - they're yours. You'll never play Jamersons as well as James - don't try. make the music yours. Use the Jamerson part as a stepping of point.

Mike

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thanks for the info. sometimes it's just hard relating between trumpet and bass. my main axe is trumpet and bass is my second.

you're right - i wouldn't be caught dead playing a freddie hubbard or woody shaw transcription through a tune's changes (although i use a lot of their licks and changes)

thanks again