Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For Practice....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Jul 30, 2005.

1. I recently found a drummer and a guitar player and we decided to jam in a few weeks...only problem is all i have is a 15w practice amp. I just need some opinions on what brand and wattage would be good for that situation and possibly for a small gig, within the $300-400 range???

*NOTE* If theres already a forum about this that I missed help me out!!

2. best deal is most likely going to be ebay: peavey amplification...older stuff is commonly better (imo)

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    hey, I've been playing for 6 years and have a $2000 rig, o.k. I'm braggin' but if I HAD to get a rig for basement practice I'd strongly consider 200w 15" yorkville combo XM100C for $375. thats my low price new combo choice. if you got more cash try the ag500sc for about $1,500 with option for external speaker leaving the internal one on..

4. Well, I've played through a Behringer combo that gives 120 watts,
    and has a tilt back feature, along with many other goodies,
    including a direct out and additional speaker out.
    It's only $199 through Musician's Friend so it's under your budget.
    I know alot of people around here are anti-Behringer, but for
    what you're looking to do, I would say it's definitely worth a look. Here's a link:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=141/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/480675/

5. Are SWR or Gallien-Kruger good combos for practice??

6. i think a peavey will serve you well. like a used tnt or tko. they will last forever, so don't worry about it being used.

7. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Get a peavey tnt 115. They are around 450$ new or 300 used. I use one with 2 guitarists who have 120 watt 212 combos and a drummer.

Get a dolly or casteres for it though, 80+ lbs isn't light, especially going up flights of stairs.

Best of luck,

-Rob

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you can find one used, it's a phenominal deal. Peavey combos are phenominal values, powerful, with good tone and nearly unbreakable.

Hope you have a strong back though, they're HEAVY.

9. Christ Almighty! What kind of ideas are you putting into this kids head? I have a feeling he wants more than the sound of mud so Peavey and Behringer are strictly out of the question.

Low price, reliability, flexability, and quality? Gotta go GK.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=141/g=home/search/d=tp?q=backline

I suppose you could go with SWR, but be prepared to shell out a couple hundred bucks more. I had a Workingmans 12 for a few years and it served me well. It's only been in the last year that I decided to build myself an all SWR Pro rig. :D

If you want SWR I wouldn't get anything smaller than the Workingman's 12...and don't get the LA series (crap).

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As a Gallien-Krueger lover, even I will admit that the lower end Backline series is not nearly the value of the Peavey TNT Combo, especially used.

11. Id say a used peavey head n cab would be better, never know, a firebass with a 4x10 or something (and maybe add a 215 on there woo!)

Can you not try jamming at a rehersal room, you'd have to pay obviously, but you wouldnt have to worry about getting an amp for it right now

12. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    so... Freakin Idiot lives up to his name :D
    there is nothing wrong with peavey, they sound fine. however, ive not heard too many great things about the GK backline series...

and peaveys are very well built. my brother has an old guitar tube amp from '87 and it sounds excellent.
    thats the best way to go

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

+1

The TNT combo is very loud, and if you know how to use EQ, it is capable of good sound, too.

The GK Backline stuff is OK for the price, but isn't anywhere near as loud or as solid as a used TNT.

14. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I can vouch for ampeg combos. Ive owned one in the past and it was a great amp to me. Solid combos with lots of tone variations. I just needed to sell it for something larger for gigs.

BA-115 is a good combo amp and should be in your price range.

If you can dig up about 150 bucks more you can get a 210 cab from avatar with ashdown mag300 head. It will run 566 bucks.

15. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Jeez FI -ya just threw out the whole frickin' Ampeg catalogue as well! Yer gonna get flamed bad in here for that one! Brawr-har-har!

16. Eh...I don't like Ampeg so much...not my cup of tea and I don't have much experience with em because of it. That's why I left them out. Ampeg is kinda like the middle man to me. I think the only reason I spent more time playing a Behringer instead of the Ampeg next to it at my GC is because I couldn't believe Behringer could make something so bad. And every single Peavey I've tried I can put up with for a little while, but not long...kinda like my brother...the first 30 seconds of obnoxious farting noises I can put up with it, but after that I just leave.

Yes I know I am going to get ripped on for this one, but I just dislike Peavey. And for those of you who didn't follow, I compared Peavey (the amps anyway) to obnoxious farting noises.

Behringer cabs, though, arent half bad. They're a little unbalanced, but sound kind of mid cut. They are fairly responsive too. I played a Musicman 5 throught a GK 1001 RB into a Behringer 1x15 and 2x10. They are very snappy. They were the ones with the aluminum cones.