1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD For Sale: 1967 Fender Coronado 2 Bass, $800

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by guitargarage, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitargarage

guitargarage Commercial User

Jul 6, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Owner of Guitar Garage
    Here's another fairly odd-ball bass - a Fender Coronado Bass - not Fender's finest moment, but an interesting piece and actually a cool sounding instrument - just not very "Fender".

But I guess that's what diversification is about?

The quick summary:
    - almost 100% original, except for two tuner screws and non-factory thin plastic neck shim
    - missing one thumbrest
    - no case, but a gig bag that ALMOST fits !
    - medium action, the neck has a small rise at the very high end of the fretboard (by the body), but the bass plays comfortably. Still more truss rod travel left with a slight amount of relief now.
    - sounds great, almost rickenbacker like with both pickups engaged - maybe its the roundwounds on it?

neck date is: Jun 67

CoronadoBass013.

Has a good sized belt buckle rash on the back - and the dings and wear and tear on the finish you'd expect after 42 years - but the bass is solid with no cracks or damage.

CoronadoBass015.

Lots more pics on request.

Asking $800 plus shipping - local pickup (Boston area) available of course!

2. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    Wow that looks nice. Colin Greenwood has one of those. Too bad I'm only looking for a fretless... And even that's going to put me in debt.

3. thumpybumper

thumpybumper

Dec 5, 2008
    What scale is the neck?

4. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    PM sir

5. guitargarage

Jul 6, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Owner of Guitar Garage
    Its a 30 inch scale - same as a Mustang or Musicmaster bass.

K.

6. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    whoa - free "cool bass" bump. always wanted one of these, even though i should probably know better. super cool look.

7. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    I had one of these as my first fender bass- pretty cool! A couple of things:

a) The bridge is floating (not attached)

b) The body is COMPLETELY hollow- no center block! The pickups are mounted directly in the top.

c) The pickups are Dearmond. I remember reading somewhere that this was the first instrument that Fender outsourced the electronics for. They don't sound like typical 60's Fender pickups- the Rick comparison is probably pretty appropriate- although I always had flats on mine.

d) These are SUPER lightweight (at least, mine was). No neck-dive, though, actually pretty well-balanced.

e) This has mid sixties "lollipop" tuners. Possibly worth alot of money to somebody restoring a '65 to '67 Jazz.

f) Your tailpiece is missing a white script "F" logo (plastic). I can see the shadow of it in your pic.

g) Mine also had a plastic neck shim, that may actually be original!

h) Mine had the original case, which weighed about 30 lbs. empty! I'm not exaggerating- you literally could not tell whether the bass was in it or not by lifting it!

I wish I still had mine. Mine looked EXACTLY like yours. My father got it for me for my birthday in 1984 for $100 from a music store! Just seeing one always brings back many happy memories! I pretty much gigged mine to death by the time I was seventeen!:bassist:(mostly because I gigged it with no case- ah, youth!). I would buy yours if I could blow money strictly on nostalgia, but I can't right now.:(

One of my favorite things about this bass was the fact that it is the ONLY bass I've ever played (or even seen or heard about) that could generate a controllable sustaining low-pitch feedback note (almost any note on the neck!)a la Hendrix or "I Feel Fine". This was only when I tried, by touching the body to a cranked stack. There were no FB "problems" under normal, loud play. One night a friend/ bass mentor of mine saw me do this at a gig and was knocked out! He was working at the time for Pearce amps (I grew up in Buffalo) and had a HUGE Pearce stack at his practice space. We went there after my gig and had lots of fun making bass feedback (as well as pungent smoke and empty cans;)) until the sun came up! Wheeeee! Sorry for the rant, just wanted to share, I hope your Coronado finds a good home! Good luck!

8. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Free I have a red version of this BUMP!

9. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    A steal.

10. Funkster

Funkster Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Bump for my good bro and a real nice Bass! Krishna is the bomb to deal with so have no fear!

11. guitargarage

Jul 6, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Owner of Guitar Garage
    Just to respond to a few of the points:

The bridge is indeed floating, though you can see where its been positioned for the last 40-odd years because the lacquer hasnt yellowed as much under the "feet" - handy for doing set up!!

There seems to actually be a long tailblock that extends from the tail to under the bridge - so its hollow, but supported in one very important area at least.

The lollipop tuners are actually the smaller ones that were used on Mustang basses - they aren't as big as the ones used on 66 Jazz basses - a set of those would be worth at least half the value of this bass !!!!

The "F" is still there - impressed into the plastic - either the white pigment wore off, or there was maybe a thin white insert thats gone ???

thanks for the details and the stories though - it is a cool bass - but as Henry knows - I have A LOT of cool basses !! ;)

Krishna

12. tb420

tb420

Sep 23, 2008
    Quick question. All the Coronado II (and I's now that I think of it) have a white pickup selector. This one seems to be black. Just wondering if there was any electrical work done when that was replaced or if it just fell off and was replaced.

Thanks

13. chrisboyle

chrisboyle

Nov 24, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Cool! P/M'd

14. A Fender Bump for a terrific Bass! :bassist:

15. great bass and AMAZING price. i paid $1595 for mine. mine's red and better condition, but still, that's one heck of a price for a workingman's bass.

great tone, neck, weight, feel. this is a very underrated bass. i love mine.

16. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    PM'ed!

17. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    PM sent

18. drinks11

drinks11

Oct 28, 2009
    PM sent. Would be a perfect addition for my recording studio down here.

19. guitargarage

Jul 6, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Owner of Guitar Garage
    Hey everyone - thanks for all the responses, but a deal HAS been reached on the bass - and it will soon be residing in Rome, Italy - laying down the hollow-body grooves.

But keep an eye out for my posts - have a cache of other unusual vintage basses coming up!!

cheers!

Krishna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.