1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FOR SALE: 1969 Fender Jazz Bass $3600

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by daveonbass, Apr 11, 2009.

1. daveonbass

daveonbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    I have what I believe to be a 1969 Jazz I'm looking to sell for $3600 CASH ONLY plus actual shipping costs UPS insured to US only - I just never use it. Original case and all original hardware (except where noted), original thumb rest and covers for pickup and bridge. There's a badass bridge on it now, but I also have the original bridge. Has a brass nut. Fathead included as well. In really pretty good shape. I bought it in 1997, it has had about 10 hours of actual playing time since then. More like a museum piece than an actual played instrument in my collection.

Sunburst/rosewood neck...
    So, hit me up if this is of ANY interest...

Pickup numbers:
    7409 neck
    8099 bridge (or 6608 I guess)...
    the guys at the Fender Forum tell me this means it's a 69

The pots are from 1966, the neck is 1968 or later, no serial number anywhere that I can find and the pickups date it to 1969, so that's what I'm going with.

I'd give the buyer a full week to look it over and if there is any problem AT ALL return for full refund minus shipping costs, it's a great bass and I'm not looking to have any purchaser be disappointed in any form whatsoever.

I'll post this only at TalkBass for a while before it goes on eBay, my username there (if you'd like to check my feedback) is daveonbass.

A couple years ago I put out a "feeler" thread on this bass that generated a lot of discussion on what exact year it was made and the consensus was 1969... That thread should you care to look through it is located here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273318

PICS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's a brass nut - NOT original:
    [​IMG]

This back plate is NOT original:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fathead included in sale:
    [​IMG]

Photo without the Fathead:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original bridge and pickup covers as well as case:
    [​IMG]

There IS a shim like this on this bass:
    neckshim.

2. Gorgeous! Wish I had the cash for this. I think I'd be afraid to play it out though...

3. Me likes it

4. daveonbass

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    It's an awesome bass. Like I said, though... I've had it over 10 years... played it maybe 10 hours total... Not a bass I'd gig with I guess. Used it in the studio and to noodle around with when I have time to just practice on my own, that's about it.

Still available, I'm in no great hurry to get it on eBay, for now just advertising it here at TalkBass.

:cool:

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Great bass from my birth year! I am looking for one of these but just don't have the cash right now. Hopefully it doesn't sell for a few months!;):D

6. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    FYI the serial number is on the neck plate. it's visible in your pictures...

7. vintageampeg

vintageampeg

Feb 2, 2005
    embarrased to say this is the first time I've seen a "fathead". No idea what it's supposed to do. I'm assuming it's balance related although I can imagine there's some theory that the strings vibrate the plate which in turn vibrates the wood better and you get KILLER TONE!

but jeesh I don't know.. I guess I'll just ask.. what the hell is that thing?? :)

8. daveonbass

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    The neck plate is NOT original ;)

Fathead, well... It was meant to beef up the tone I guess. I believe the sales pitch also was something about eliminating dead spots... LONG time ago I picked that thing up, it's been off the bass for years now :p

9. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Someone buy this bass, great seller, great guy to deal with, equipment also top notch, don't miss out on this opportunity.

10. daveonbass

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    Thanks nubs!... (check's in the mail) :p

11. daveonbass

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    Going to eBay soon... last chance! :meh:

12. daveonbass

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    I've been busy, still not on eBay yet... played it the other day, though - one sweet bass for sure :)

13. daveonbass

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    OK, I can't edit the original post but I do plan to put on eBay soon... starting bid $3200 with $200 shipping and insurance anywhere in US or local pickup as an option as well... Just throwing it out there before going to the auction site, send me a message if you're interested...

:cool:

14. daveonbass

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
  15. daveonbass

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    SOLD THROUGH TALKBASS! :)