1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale 1974 Ampeg V4 head

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by johnk_10, Apr 13, 2009.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    SOLD * SOLD * SOLD* For sale is my 1974 Ampeg V4 head. This is the last year that the SERIES 1 was released and it has been completely restored with new tolex, grillcloth, faceplate, all USA tubes (NOS or tubes that test as new) and all new filter caps. Matched quartet of 7027A output tubes. This head looks and works as new. Yes, I am asking quite a bit more than alot of the old ones that you may have seen for sale but countless hours of labor and every component that tested out of spec was replaced with USA equivalents that meet or surpass the originals. This amp has NO issues and is ready to play for another 35 years. It is now a true "time machine". asking $999.00 + actual shipping.

74-V4-1-800.

for more pics and info, go here:
    http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/1974V4.html

2. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Very nice-looking amp!

Would you mind giving us some more info on the V4? I've owned: B-25, B-15, B-15S, SB-12, but never one of these.

What's the diff between series one and later models?

What's the power and the weight?

What's the sonic signature compared to B-15 or SVT?

Cash only, or open to trades?

Thanks!

3. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    Hi, thanks.
    the V4 has a similar sound to an SVT as it has practically the same preamp tone circuit. i.e. treble with hi boost, a selectable midrange cut and boost sw, and bass with a lo boost. The series ones has no distortion control (series 2's distortion control is pretty unusable IMO). i think that they actually sound easily as good as an SVT, maybe better.

they are rated at 108 watts RMS but actually put out alot more than that and feel more like a 200 watt tube head (its louder than my SS Eden WT550B which is rated at 500 watts). and easily as loud as a Traynor YBA-200-II

they weigh about 65 lbs. (due to their massive transformers)

no trades right now as i just have way too many amps. i accept cash or paypal.

thanks!

4. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    bump

5. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    how do v-4's compare year by year ....for instance what's the main differences between this and the 70' you're selling?

6. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    there's no difference at all. they have the same schematic and the same transformers and components.

7. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    Allentown, PA
    Just an FYI-

I've gigged on a couple of these as backline rigs, and they are KILLER. I mean I've never owned an SVT, but I would absolutely get one of these for half the price, if that was the sound I was going for.

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    my other 1970 V4 head has been sold, so this is the only one i have left.

thanks,

9. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    this V4 has been sold too. thanks!