1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale: 1994 Ibanez SDGR 1205

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by PhilRitter21, Jun 21, 2007.

1. PhilRitter21

PhilRitter21

Apr 23, 2007
    Toledo Ohio
    For sale is a beautiful Ibanez sdgr 1205 that hails from the year 1994. It is a 5 string model with a neck through body. There is a small dent on the side which I will show in a picture.

Natural finish
    9v preamp
    Gold hardware

I am the 2nd owner of this bass. I like it a lot, except Im not really a fan of 5 stringgers. It just sort of hangs out in my room, with very little play time. I want to give it a good home.

I am asking $400. Less if its a local deal! (Willing to drive and meet within 100 miles of Toledo Ohio) Ill even throw in a new EB/MM HSC!

Now on to the pictures!

Attached Files:

2. PhilRitter21

PhilRitter21

Apr 23, 2007
    Toledo Ohio
    The first one is the dent.

Attached Files:

3. PhilRitter21

PhilRitter21

Apr 23, 2007
    Toledo Ohio
    :bassist:

Attached Files:

4. PhilRitter21

PhilRitter21

Apr 23, 2007
    Toledo Ohio
    + an Ibanez Strap

5. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    whats the scale and string spacing?

6. PhilRitter21

PhilRitter21

Apr 23, 2007
    Toledo Ohio
    Thats a good question. I looked everywhere online, but couldnt find the answers. I at least know its a 34 inch scale. The string spacing is slightly narrower than my Fender American Deluxe Jazz 4 string. I have a very accurate measuring device hidden around the house somewhere. Ill try to see if I can find it, and give the exact spacing.

7. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    also, what kind of pickups does it have? and what do the knobs do? sorry about all the questions :)

8. oh man, your making me miss my 1993 sr800. the early to mid 90's model's were great. thin necks, and played like a dream. and they were tanks. I dropped mine a few times and it stayed in tune.
    I remember the string spacing was tight, I think it was 18mm on the 5's,and the pick up's were active ibanez. these were the top of the line for ibanez back in the day. wish I had the cash...

bump for a great bass

9. PhilRitter21

PhilRitter21

Apr 23, 2007
    Toledo Ohio
    Hey no problem! Thats what Im here for. But Im also sorry I cant answer the questions 100%. I was a lot younger and didnt know a whole lot about basses when I bought this... and it didnt have any paperwork with it. But I think hes right about the pickups being active Ibanez. I recall there being nothing that points to anything else. Ill pull one of them out tomorrow and see if there is a marking of some sort. The controls are (I believe): volume; p-up blend; high boost/cut; low boost/cut; mid sweep; and mid boost/cut.

10. Pickups are the standard rebranded Mighty-Mites (IBZ ADX5) that most of the midrange basses used back in the day before the Bartolini MK-Is were released. Preamp is an OEM active Volume/Blend/Stacked Low & High boost and cut/Stacked variable midrange boost and cut. Not a bad "EMG wannabe" set-up. ;)

I own a '96 SR-1206 (only difference is they went to all-black hardware as opposed to gold, and an increase in wood laminations thickness in the neck) and from 1997 until 2002 it was my "go-to" bass - sessions, live shows, jam sessions, cover gigs, subbing - a back injury led me to lighter basses, and I eventually found that bolt-on Jazzes were "my" sound, pretty much the opposite of this neck-through/Soapbar-equipped. :) However I still have her, and even though my taste in bass tones has changed I'll certainly never deny it's one hell of a bass and still bring her out when I need the range or I'm doing a tapping/chordal piece.

Mahogany back, thick figured maple top (people are still surprised about the thickness and flame on mine when they see it's an Ibanez), 5-piece Walnut/Maple neck with a Wedge fretboard... it's as solid a neck as you'll find made of wood (I've had mine set up twice in 10 years, both before recording sessions) and you can set the action ultra-low for tapping or fingerstyle or to play "easy" and let your amp do all the work. Tone-wise, I like to refer to it as what I hear as the "classic neck-through" tone - I feel the mahogany, maple, neck woods, and neck-through construction almost naturally EQ'ed themselves flat so that almost any style of playing (finger-pick-slap style, tapping, etc...) can be found using the electronics and technique.

*Bump* for a great bass, and a tremendous deal: $450 for this plus case is a steal, and for anyone who wants to try their hand at a 5-string or could use a quality back-up this is amazing. Toss in some EMGs and electronics and you'd have a killer, but even stock it's nothing to sneeze it. If I were still into this design and sound of basses I'd be placing a bid without question. :D

11. Eddie95Z28

Eddie95Z28 I play bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Detroit Area, Michigan
    Does that bass have a curved back/body or is it flat?

12. PhilRitter21

PhilRitter21

Apr 23, 2007
    Toledo Ohio
    Now you tell me! :p

13. PhilRitter21

PhilRitter21

Apr 23, 2007
    Toledo Ohio
    Its flat for the most part. It starts to slope away towards the edges; which are soft curves. It feels good to hold.... At night... when you are lonely...

14. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    About how much does this bass weigh? PMed :bassist:

15. PhilRitter21

PhilRitter21

Apr 23, 2007
    Toledo Ohio
    My scale said 9.5 lbs

16. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Phil or Ian,

Will EMG's fit in the pickup slots?

17. No promises, but 40's should fit into the routings. I certainly hope they do, as I need to replace the pups and electronics of my 1206 - living on Long Island outside of NYC I got a good amount of salt and humidity damage in my 1206, and some of the components, wiring, and rubber gaskets are turning into "goo", believe it or not.

...but mine is an rare case - multiple techs have said so. I wouldn't worry at all about Phil's bass. Hell, I have a friend who knowing about the electrical issues wants to buy my bass simply as a "platform" and totally replace the pups and preamp, the bass itself is built so well. :)

18. skipster619

skipster619

Jul 11, 2007
    pm sent, with questions about a VERY sweet looking piece...I'm just starting down the 5 string lane...I've been looking at Schecter Studio 5, but this is a gorgeous bass! I wonder how they compare...

BIG smile right now...sweet, sweet rig!!!

19. skipster619

skipster619

Jul 11, 2007
    So, can anyone offer a comparison of this beautiful Ibanez and a Schecter Studio 5?? In terms of playability, design and dimensions, feel, etc??

I'm just getting into 5 string, and any and all thoughts would be MUCH appreciated!!!!!

20. the ibanez neck is a lot thinner,and IMO, faster, may make the transition to the 5 a little easier. the Ibanez also weighs less. the newer Ibanez necks are thicker than this, so don't judge one you play in a store..
    the schec's EMG's sound great, but again IMO, I think you need a the right amp. not to mention the Elite's are much better than the studio's...
    the Ibanez would prob serve you better as a great all around first 5 and trust me you can not beat the price...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021