1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD For Sale: Fender Limited Edition Custom Shop 58' Precision

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ElMon, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Here's some specs off of Musician's Friend on this bad boy, who I have affectionately named 'Big Daddy P'.....

This is not your average Pbass. If your one who is ambivalent about vintage vs modern Pbass examples, and thinks that your Hwy one Pbass/modern American P sounds the same as the Custom Shop examples, or even the vintage models, than please, look elsewhere. I've owned a 78 stock, played and gigged a friends 64' P, owned and gigged a 58' custom shop Relic, and have had a genuine love for this venerable design for years.

IME, I've never come across a better sounding example in my life. This bass feels 'alive', every single note on the neck just leaps right off the fretboard, and there's a consistancy from the Low F to the High Eb that I've never experienced in any Pbass. I never really considered my Pbasses solo intruments, but more suited for laying down deep-bottomed grooves that drive the band like no other. This one can do both.

I atribute this to the tone pot and the pickup. This is a hot bass with a lot of output. Like some of the amazing vintage P's and J's I've had the pleasure of owning/playing, the tone pot on this axe has truly useful variants depending on where you set it. IME, most modern tonepots only go from 'mud' to 'clanky' on the P's I've come across. With the tone knob all the way off, its a dub machine that stays clean on the lows, and when the tone is jacked up, it is extremely responsive to right hand technique and placement. Unbelievably so.

In the past, when playing latin music and other styles that required an articulate midrange sound, I would of course reach for any bass I owned that had a bridge pickup, mostly a Jbass. Now, I'm not saying that any single-pup Pbass can even begin to approach the burp of a bridge pickup on a Jbass, this bass admirably gets the job done if you have a clean right hand and play behind the pickup. In fact, on every gig I've played with this bad boy (at least 20 now), I left the tone pot completely open and varied where I placed my right hand, covering stacatto punch to deep Jamerson-Esque fundamental. If you're a player who defines 'versatility' as residing in the hands rather than in the flexibility of the pickup/EQ setup of a bass, you'll love this one. I certainly have.

Why sell it then?

It really comes down to the lack of a bridge pickup. Like I mentioned above, this bass is very articulate throughout its entire neck. However, it still can't replace a bridge pickup, which I'm finding is a sound I need more and more with the gigs I play. I plan on picking up a Sadowsky Hybrid PJ after moving this bass, and would of course honor a trade if someone had a Metro PJ they wanted to throw my way (not bloody likely I'm sure!! :D)

Also, a word on the unique neck of this bass. If you've never played a soft v shaped neck before, you might not like this bass. Personally, I love this design better than the other Custom Shop P's which are vary thin from front to back. This neck is a thick slab of maple. Its a solid one-piece neck, and there's no seperate fretboard per se. IMO this contributes to both the eveness of notes and to the extreme stability of htis neck. It simply hasn't moved at all since I've had it. I can't say the same about the 59' Custom Shop I had, which required constant tweaking.

Anyways, enough of my ramblings. I always like to give my own impressions to a potential buyer rather than simply listing the price. That being said...........

$2100 shipped to Cont. US only. Firm. No trades unless its a Hybrid PJ sadowsky

Thanks for looking and here's some pics:

BigDaddyP007.
    BigDaddyP005.
    BigDaddyP004.
    BigDaddyP003.

th_DSC00309.
    th_DSC00307.

2. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Late night bump. I discovered something else this bass can do well, but that I never (usually) have any use for: an amazing pickstyle tone.

For ***** and giggles, our Geetard called out 'You Shook Me All Night Long' by ACDC, and since I had never ever attempted to play any of their music (while still being a fan), I figured 'what the heck, let's use a pick!'. Man!!!!! I see why a Pbass with a pick is a rock standard. Just a gnarly, authorative sound. Thought I'd point that out as well.

3. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Whoa. Someone better give this baby a good home.

Good luck. That thing is gorgeous.

4. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Thanks! At least I've finally gotten it through my head that standard jbass setups, whether it be a Fender or a Hi-End Sadowsky MV5/RV5, just doesn't work for me like a Pbass. In fact, the first bass I came up on, in my 8th grade Jazzband, was a fender PJ setup.

leesbrushes likes this.
  5. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Supro, Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Source Audio, Pigtronix, & Fishman
    another PM sent to you luke.

John

6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    On hold pending trade with the gent above this post, who is a man after my own heart as far as taste in Pbasses.

7. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Traded to masmasbasso. Thanks for looking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.