Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For Sale Forum has Gone Awry

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Mud Flaps, May 31, 2004.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    As time progresses, we see more and more "1 post" TB'ers posting a solicitation or an advertisement for an E-Bay sale in the For Sale Forum. There are two decisive actions that need to be taken in order to insure a productive and useful For Sale Forum:

1. We need a new warning stickied. This warning should be titled something like "No E-Bay Ads or Solicitations Please". "Read this or Risk Being Made Fun of" is too general and visitors ignore it or perceive it as a joke. Inside this thread (the new one I propose be created) something needs to say that the TalkBass For Sale Forum is for specific products for sale at TalkBass only.

2. There needs to be another moderator in the For Sale Forum. The moderating team of that forum is too slow at deleting bad threads. Perhaps it is their fault, or perhaps we simply need more moderators there too filter the massive amount of activity.

Many see the soliciters in the TB For Sale forum as simply an annoying and inevitable part of a popular, online for-sale forum. However, companies like G&L and theperfectbass.com pay money for the opportunity to advertise at TalkBass. Allowing solicitors free advertising undermines and jeopardizes this relationship. I strongly urge Paul and the rest of the moderators at TB to consider my proposal.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the suggestion on creating a more descriptive sticky.:)[​IMG] I am going to do that in a few minutes.

Unfortunately, I have a life, so an occasional post will slip through without me noticing an auction link. I have also been real busy with my band the last 3 weeks, and haven't been able to spend as much time on TB as I normally do.

There is something that you, and everybody else, can do to help.

If you see a violation of the rules in any Forum, report it. The moderator receives an email, and the cleanup is much quicker.

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Alas, the Embellisher is human after all! See, as he says, he has a life. This statement prooves my point that there needs to be more than one moderator in For Sale.