1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale: German roundback ca. 1930 $16000

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by Jeremy Allen, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    For sale is the German monster I've been playing since last February when I acquired it for use while my main axe is undergoing a huge repair. The rebuild job is almost finished, so this is ready for a new home.

7/8 (I will post measurements if anyone is interested), sort of an Eb neck, a bizarrely comfortable 43.75" mensure, round back, hat peg tuners. This is a very loud, thunderous, all-'round excellent bass; it recently belonged to Rodney Whitaker, who used it on those older Terrence Blanchard records, and then to Glenn Worf, who lugged it around with Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris among others before Andy Stetson found him an exact match for the Hornsteiner he keeps in London. It is a serious professional instrument that sits as well in an orchestra section (good candidate for C extension) as in a big band or quintet. It's also the bass on which Spirocores sound great either bowed or plucked, if that's a measurement you use.

There is a break in the neck which occurred and was repaired a very long time ago; Andy at the Bass Cellar has been around this bass for a long time and he insists it is not a concern.

I've got plenty of sound files (with all manner of strings) if anyone's interested.
    $16,000

IMG_0397. IMG_0402.
    IMG_0405. IMG_0404.
    IMG_0409. IMG_0412.
    IMG_0401. IMG_0407.

2. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    A great bass; just ask Jay Anderson, who gave me a look that said "Yeah, right" when I told him I was selling it. In addition to my pending bass repair being finished, I just bought a house. So PLEASE take a close look at this if you're in the market.

I'll bring this to the ISB convention next week (along with my 1941 Kay M1, also for sale) if anyone is interested in trying it out. Currently strung with Gerold Genssler's TWINE strings if anyone wants to get a peek at those.

3. BAJO

BAJO Gold Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2006
    West Orange,NJ
    Juzek? 16,000.00

4. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Not a Juzek. A lot of similarities, but not a Juzek.

I've played MANY Juzeks (maybe not as many as you, Carlos!), and this bass is in a different league. You want to anchor an orchestra section, with Spirocores on your bass? This will do it. You want to drive a big band without an amp and with gut strings? This bass will do it.

I paid $16,000.00 for it last February, purchased from Glenn Worf via Andy Stetson at the Bass Cellar. It's been an interim bass for me while mine is being rebuilt. I only seek to get my money back out of it. This is a serious professional axe as evidenced by the places it's been and the hands it's been in, and I have it insured for way more than the purchase price because I've done plenty of shopping in the $25K-$40K range and I know that you can't touch a bass like this for $16K. Were it not a generic "Joe German" bass, it would command much more money than I paid (and am asking).

5. BAJO

Mar 7, 2006
    West Orange,NJ
    Cool Bro!! Good luck!! I just thought those basses with the design in the back button came from the German shop factories like Juzek Etc..., I must be wrong! Hey Jeremy, tell Glenn and Andy I say whats up!! Good Luck on the sale..

6. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I always thought so too. And then I had a run-in with Ken Smith about it and he showed me the error of my ways...:bag:

Too bad you're not in the market, Carlos, because, and I'm not just saying this, I thought of you when I first went to put this up for sale!

7. BAJO

Mar 7, 2006
    West Orange,NJ
    That's cool! Its so funny cause I have 5 Basses with that same marking[lollol] Ken Smith told me that the marking were from the shops in Germany unless the label said any different. I hope you sell it bro!! Let me know if you need any help.

8. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Personal experience tells me that this bass is a steal at $16k. Anybody who is seriously in the market for a new bass with some serious sound should take her out for a spin.

/$0.02

9. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Thanks for saying so, Kam. I just played about fifty basses at ISB, and I stand behind my opinion that you need to get above $25K for a bass you'd rather play.

10. I've been wheelin' dealin' and playing basses for longer than most of you have been alive.
    This is a GOOD one. No, I haven't played it. The ONLY reason I haven't gone for it is the sloping shoulders. (which is a huge plus for getting around in the higher positions). I'm used to a bass with a strange shoulder configuration, so I need what most players don't dig.

The first time I met my mentor, the great jazz bassist Red Mitchell, he was playing a bass that could have been a twin. Red said it was unbelievable as a four stringer, but he decided to have the great bass luthier Paul Toenniges convert it to a five stringer (low B). They were both reluctant, thinking the bass would lose some of it's energy. Not a chance...it was REALLY something. I was just out of high school and I'll never forget that sound.
    This bass looks EXACTLY the same.

11. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I have played this bass. It's a ratbike for sure but a sleeper at that. Never see it comin. Big sound. I don't notice the string length....I wish I could buy this one too.

12. vernay3

vernay3

Jul 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I have played this bass as well. It is a great instrument..unfortunately 'beyond my pain threshold' (price), as Andy put it. I really lost sleep over this one, and wish I could justify the money presently.

13. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Hey Vernay,
    How far beyond your pain threshold? There's stuff listed on your profile I would gladly take in partial trade if you wanted to work something out.

14. vernay3

vernay3

Jul 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    You have my attention. I will PM my cell number. Let's talk soon. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.