1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For sale: No-label Czech or German 3/4 bass

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by Richard Simon, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Simon

Richard Simon Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Beautiful (characteristically) German bass needs a new home. (My Morelli & Pfretszschner basses are now well set up and functioning on a high level, making this bass expendable.)

Los Angeles's finest luthier, Lisa Gass, set up this bass for Dave Stone, arguably LA's most versatile DB player. I bought it from Dave 3 years ago.

This bass has a warm, rich tone to match its fine craftsmanship and good condition.

Recording engineers love this bass: whether simply miked or mixed with a pick-up, it has a clear, mature sound, putting forth a genuine expression of your skill and soul.

Highlights include:
    spruce top, maple back and sides ("carved" throughout)
    ebony fingerboard
    dark varnish
    violin corners
    minimal wear and tear
    approximate age: 60 to 75 years old

Regardless of the exact year of origin, this bass has the unmistakable tonal authority associated with old basses. It has been played regularly for years, so it responds quickly yet richly to both pizz and arco.

The bass has no inherent flaws; I am simply downsizing to two basses.

Her vital statistics:
    19 1/4" across the upper bout (shoulders)
    25 1/2" across the lower bout
    41 1/2" vibrating string length (nut to bridge)

If you need them, I will include $750 worth of "extras":
    --a French bow
    --a well-padded Reunion Blues cover
    --newly-installed Tomastik Spiracore Orchestra Gauge strings

Like all basses, this one is best seen/played/appreciated in person, of course.

Sorry: No sales/trials to out-of-town buyers.

Write if you're interested, and if you live in or plan to visit Southern California.

Asking the $7,000 I paid for it.

Attached Files:

2. Richard send me a private email via the information under my registered users name @ talkbass, include your phone number where I can reach you. I will in the Sherman Oaks on Wednesday 3/19/08

3. Richard:

My bad, I initially looked at the description and missed that it's violin corners, I have one. Looking for a Gamba.By the description and knowing your caliber of playing it will make a great bass for someon at that price.

Good Luck!

4. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Hi Richard-

Good to see you posting here on TB. I may have seen you with this bass before. Will you have it on any festivals coming up? Just met Dave, playing with Howard Arlen in Monterey. Fine player and nice guy.

Ike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.