1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD For sale only: 2008 Roscoe LG-3000 with fancy woods, hardshell case, near mint

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Snaxster, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    $2000 USD shipped fully insured to CONUS. This is a sale with a firm price only: no trades or offers. Contact me by email: skylimes at yahoo dot com.

(Click any image in this post for a large version of it.)

[​IMG]

This LG-3000 is a 4-string fretted bass that features
    • swamp ash body
    • exhibition grade box elder burl body top with wenge middle lamination
    • matching box elder burl peghead top
    • a maple neck with purpleheart center and maple and cherry accent laminations
    • 34" scale fingerboard of exhibition grade cocobolo with a box elder burl inlay at the 12th fret
    • Graphtech nut
    • two Bartolini soapbar pickups
    • Bartolini 3-band preamp
    • black lightweight Hipshot hardware
    • Roscoe hardshell case.
    It sounds and plays great and is a thing of beauty. I don't know its weight (and I don't have a scale), but I estimate 8 to 8.5 lbs.

[​IMG]

So why am I selling it? Here is the deal:

I bought this bass new in early December 2008. I liked it fine, but thought I could not intonate it properly and that its saddles were higher than they should be. The was also a tiny split in a corner of the thick gloss finish, on the body near the neck pocket. In late December, Roscoe Guitars accepted the bass for warranty repair. In late February I got it back. So this LG-3000 has barely been played.

[​IMG]

Now I was able to intonate it, and the saddle heights looked acceptable to me. I even got closer to the bass, finding more of its voice (which has great integrity, I think) and my voice on it. And the imperfection in the gloss finish had been repaired.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I soon noticed that the strings were correctly spaced from one to another, but were offset on the neck as a group, shifted over to the E string side of the neck. Click this next photo and study the large version of it to see if you notice the same thing:

[​IMG]

I have decided not to pursue further warranty repair of this bass. It is entirely playable, but I have already lost my confidence in it. If the next owner thinks the string alignment is an issue, they can contact Roscoe Guitars who will help them address it.

The rest of my disclosure: The Sadowsky-style knobs in that last photo will not be included in this sale. The stock all-black knobs will be on this LG-3000. There are two miniscule dings in the paint on an edge of one tuner's peg, only visible on close inspection; that's how it was when I got it. The pickup pan pot does not feel as smooth through some of its travel as I would like, but it functions correctly.

Everything on this LG-3000 works as expected. I believe that only an experienced and attentive player would notice the offset of its strings against its neck. Even then, they may or may not consider it an issue.

I have tried to disclose everything I know and think about this bass. It is a beautiful instrument, but it is no longer for me. Whoever gets it next, and at my price, will be getting an excellent deal on a very good bass guitar. Go price current production of a Roscoe LG-3000 with these options, list or street price, to see whether my price is good.

$2000 USD shipped fully insured to CONUS. This is a sale with a firm price only: no trades or offers. Contact me by email: skylimes at yahoo dot com.

This sale will be final. If you have any concerns about this bass, ask me before you buy it, because once you buy it from me I will not accept it back for a refund.

Thanks for looking.

Snaxster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Gorgeous bass and a very good description of what in my opinion is a minor issue. Someone will be very happy with this bass!!

3. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Thank you! I agree -- this will be a steal and a fine playing instrument for some lucky buyer. :)

Best,

Snaxster

4. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Hey there...maybe this back and forth should be moved to PM's...I can't imagine this will help the for sale thread.

5. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Thank you, but I think that one of the matters in question is whether this sale thread should exist. We'll be done soon.

Again, thanks.

Snaxster

6. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Right on...it's your thread brother. Good luck!!

7. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Done.

8. Snaxter, if you could take a moment to edit/delete the responses to our exchange, it may be to everyone's benefit, for clarity in the for sale post.

To any potential purchasers, we will warrant any issues with this instrument's bridge location, if you perceive any, to the person who purchases the bass from Snaxter.

The bass is an excellent instrument, plays and sounds wonderful, and is in excellent condition.

9. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Gard, I think we're set now. I tried to clean up my parts of the thread as much as possible.

I appreciate your collaboration and offer of support to my LG-3000's next owner. And I'm sorry for the momentary misunderstanding.

Thanks,

Snaxster

10. Snaxter, happy to be of assistance.

Good luck with the sale.

:)

11. what a top on that bass, gl with the sale

12. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Thank you, Squish Man!

Yes, it is quite a looker: the way the fingerboard, top, and other woods combine to make the chocolate/caramel/cream color scheme. It's very impressive in person. :)

Best,

Snaxster

13. String issue is easy to fix, just lose the screws of the neck just a bit (take the tension off the strings) and push the neck a bit sidewards and you'll see that it will be okay. Than tighten the screws. I had the same when I bought a bass that was send to me (from the US to the Netherlands) ans maybe due of throwing or bumping the case the neck was a bit shifted. Real easy to fix. Keep this beauty! (or trade it with my bass) Best, Ser

14. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Thank you for the advice, Ser.

I recently learned this technique from a luthier, for use on my '69 Precision, which had a bad case of offset strings. It worked well on the P Bass. But this is not something I would trust myself to do on a new high-end instrument, least of all one I am selling. :)

Have a good weekend!

Snaxster

15. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Wow! I'm surprised to see this one up for sale!

It sure sounded nice in the sound clips that you posted a few months ago.

Good luck with the sale!

16. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Thanks on all counts, Joe!

Snaxster

17. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Thanks, Dr Funk!

Did the photos not load for you? Click any of them to see large versions.

There should be a full shot of the back, and other detail shots of the back of the neck and peghead.

Thanks for asking.

Snaxster

18. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Wow, I wish I had the money. A Roscoe 4 string is definitely on my wish list and this would fit the bill most perfectly.

19. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Thanks, Clint. I wish you had the money, too! And I know you would appreciate this LG, so I would be glad if it went to you.

Let me know if I can make this bass easier for you to acquire. :)

Best,

Snaxster

20. mathman7

mathman7

Jan 18, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    PM sent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.