1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale: Ray Ramirez Baby Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by NickyBass, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    The bass is in great shape. There are a few small dings in the finish, but nothing major. The body is composite and foam filled. It has the magnetic diaphragm pickup. It has specs similiar to the old Ampegs. I had the fingerboard planed and the neck straightened, so this bass is ready to go! The bass was stamped on the area where the neck inserts into the body "handmade by Ray Ramirez" or something like that. However, that area needed to be shaved so the neck would fit straight. After it was straightened, the luthier re-stamped the same info. There is alot of reflection from the flash in the pics.

I would like to get $1700 shipped for it. The only trades that I would be interested in would be an Azola Bug with the diapragm pickup or an Azola composite BB.

I will ship with the neck removed.

IMG_1258.

IMG_1257.

IMG_1255.

IMG_1254.

IMG_1253.

IMG_1259.

get-attachment-3aspx-3.

2. bajocallao

bajocallao

Jul 13, 2006
    Woodside, New York
    Endorsing Artist: D'addario Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    Nice!
    Great TBer!!!

3. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Do these and other Baby Basses with wood bridges sound decent with an Underwood stuck in the bridge wings? Does this give a good "non-Baby Bass" tone for jazz as well as the great latin sound with the normal Baby Bass pickup?

4. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I haven't tried it with a piezo pickup. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I cannot comment. With the stock pickup alone, I would have to say that you're better off with an Azola or Eminence in a jazz setting. This bass has more sustain than the original Ampegs, so with an Underwood it might work well. Sorry that I cannot offer more info.

5. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Thank you, and likewise.;) Hope all is well. I dig that Azola that you have listed.

6. patas75

patas75

Jan 26, 2011
    Duarte, CA
    That's a nice bass but I like my Ampeg Reissue better :p

Bump to a good guy

7. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    The Azola Bug basses with a diaghram pickup are hard to find, but I'm still hoping....

8. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Beautiful! :bassist:

9. patas75

patas75

Jan 26, 2011
    Duarte, CA
    The more I look at this bass the more I'm considering possibly trading my Ampeg Reissue :D I really like the color of it.

FYI there is a Bug Bass on ebay but I can't tell if it has the diaphragm pickup.

10. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I use a wooden bridge on my Ampeg BB and honestly can't tell a real difference between it and the original aluminum one. The best sound I get from mine is running both the original diaphram pickup, and blending it with a Schaller magnetic pickup that I have mounted on the end of the fingerboard. Gives me some versatility, if I want to play something more "upright' sounding, or go more "precission" sounding. Definitely would recomend a magnetic if you play jazz.

11. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    Nicky - what does the nut measure on this Ramirez? Is it thin like the Ampegs? Also, are those RR logos just decals or stickers on the surface, or are they under the clear coat (headstock) or embedded in the fiberglass (body) ?

12. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Wow, I missed your post. Sorry. I will measure the nut when I get home. The neck is chunkier than my ampeg. The back flattens out in the middle too...whereas, my Ampeg is rounded.

I am pretty sure that the logos are stickers under the finish, but I will check that too.

13. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    The width at the nut is about 1.5 inches. About the same as my Ampeg. The logo on the body looks like it is under the finish, but the logo on the neck looks like a sticker on top of the finish.

14. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Could you go into a little more detail on having the "neck straightened?" What exactly was wrong, and how was it fixed?

15. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    The necks are detachable, and they have a nub that inserts into the body to couple the two. On that nub, there is a wooden dowell (like on the ampegs) that is can be adjusted to keep the neck straight. The dowell is moved side to side and nailed in place. On this particular bass, the nub was made to fit pretty tightly into the body, however that left no room for the dowell to adjust the neck angle. So, I had to have the nub shaved down a little bit to allow room for the dowell to adjust the neck.

It really was a simple fix. It was done by Bob Groat who, I think used to work with Michael Dolan. He also planed the fingerboard.

16. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I see, thanks for explaining it.

17. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    It's a long shot, but I thought I'd throw this out there....I would also consider trading toward a La Scala plywood bass. I would add cash.

18. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I am going to list this on eBay if it doesn't sell here soon. So, in one last attempt to not deal with eBay, how about $1500 shipped. Offer good until next week.

19. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    How about $1250 shipped!

20. patas75

patas75

Jan 26, 2011
    Duarte, CA
    If only my money tree were in season...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.