1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD For Sale: Skjold 5 PSD in Excellent condition

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by shadowmac, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I purchased this bass early this year from another TB-er. I borrowed most of the following description from Eublet's TB sale description because he did an excellent job and nothing has changed concerning this bass. This instrument never left my home studio.

Ash body, maple neck and pau ferro fretboard. No scratches or nicks on it, except for the typical (extremely light) swirlies in the gloss around the knobs and above/below the pickups. Bass weighs under 8 pounds and is SUPER light. As with everything Pete does, this instrument just screams quality and plays like a mother.

Other details. Scale length is 35", but the design of Pete's basses makes it hard to notice. The bridge is placed at the very back of the body which brings the entire neck in closer to the body when strapped in. Fretwork is near perfect. The board uses a compound radius so that it is slightly more rounded toward the headstock for comfy low register playing, flattens out more up top for easy soloing and chording.

String spacing is 18mm, which is a nice feature. It's wide enough to make slapping easy, but it keeps things a bit tighter for faster finger style playing. The bridge is a custom hipshot made just for Skjold basses, and is extremely nice.

The Preamp is a custom venture between Pete and John East of J-Retro and U-Retro fame. It has a passive tone control, which when pulled out disengages the preamp and sounds great. The tone control works in active or passive. The EQ is a three band with a sweeping mid control. There is also a bright switch that is engaged by pulling out the treble knob. This bass has a pickup selector rather than a blend control which I really enjoy. The options are front pickup, blended series, blended parallel, and rear pickup.

These might look like soapbar humbuckers, but they are really split coil pickups underneath in a "reverse-P" orientation. They are open sounding and pure. They have a Jazz vibe about them with a modern sparkle and open bottom end. Very MTD-ish but even better IMO.

The cutaway and offset design of this bass allows for complete access to the last frets. I can place my middle finger on the 24th fret without my hand even touching the body of the bass at all. Quite amazing. The upper horn extends out so that the bass balances perfectly. No neck dive whatsoever, and with the weight being under 8 lbs, you can play this one on those extended gigs with no problems.

The bass will ship in the Skjold branded Contego gig bag not pictured here. It's in perfect condition as well and is an excellent crossover bag with the protection approaching a HSC and the lightweight convenience of a gigbag.

I really, REALLY like this bass. If all goes well, I will own another just like it in a year to 18 months, but based on necessity I need to sell some gear.

Thanks for looking. Mac.

$1950 Shipped ConUS

Attached Files:

2. A couple more pix of the SKJOLD PSD '92.

Attached Files:

3. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

Do you have a closeup pic of the back of the headstock?

4. Here you go.

I am having seller's remorse and I haven't even sold it yet...especially since Pete told me what a new one is going to run me.

Mac

Attached Files:

5. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

Thanks. I hear ya on the remorse part. Also, I have to say that Pete's awesome creations are the best bang for the buck you can spend bass-wise - IMO and IME.

6. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    Pete does some great blue burst. I love this bass. Wish I was in the market.

7. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    wow, that blue burst is incredible

8. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    AAAAAAHHHHH! I want this one back bad. Alas, I needed the money and couldn't avoid it. I wish I had the scratch. Any interest in a trade?

9. Thanks for all the kind words guys. Times are tough all over, don't ya know, thus the reason I put this fantastic bass up, but between Pete's PM, my second guessing this decision and my wife actually telling me to keep her, I decided not to let this one go.

Now I just have different stress!

Thanks again.

Mac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.