Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

for sale subcatagories?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by superbassman2000, Jul 31, 2005.

1. i was just thinking, with all this stuff for sale, and everyone feeling the urge to bump their post up to the top at least once every 2 hours, would it be more efficient to make subcatagories like
    Fretted bass
    fretless bass
    acoustic bass
    effects
    amps
    cabs
    misc.
    other
    and some you could even take further like
    4 string bass
    5 string bass
    6+ string bass
    etc.
    i would think that it would make finding items easier as well, so we don't have to navigate the 20-some pages of gear for sale to find that one piece of gear out there.
    you could get some mini-mods or something to moderate them, or you could just have the current two looking after all of them...

of course it could just be taking up more bandwidth...or maybe without so many people bumping their gear (because there would be less gear per page, so the items would stay on the front page longer with no need to bump, because it's alraedy on page 1!) there would be less bandwidth being taken up...

just a thought!

Charlie

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    not a bad idea. it would actually be less of a workload for us because there will be less posts because there will be less bumps.

3. paul? what do you think?

4. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I think it's about time to split into subcats. I'll add this to the 'todo queue' :)

5. cool deal!
    thanks paul!

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    any thoughts on what the categories will be?
    I was thinking something like:

Basses
    Amps/Cabs
    Parts
    Accessories

Personally, I don't think that I would want to see it broken up any more thatn that. Also would these categories be used for the wanted forum as well?

The only downside to this would be that it could be a hassle for people like me who sell or have sold a bunch of things at once. It would be a big hassle if I would have had to make 10 seperate posts instead of one big one with everything.

7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i think it will work well.

it makes it more of a hassel for the buy when moany things are listed in one thread. then they have to look through every thread to see if it has what they want. instead of just looking for what they want in the title

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    +1

I jsut browse and if I see something I want, I buy it. I still have an OBP-1 I bought off Smash that I haven't installed in a bass yet! :D

9. i dunno, i like it the way it is now. the catagories aren't intensely catagoriezed, like 4,5,6 string or overdrive, chorus and phaser catagories, but they are still pretty broad, so you can still browse if you want. i just like it because say if i'm just trying to find some effect pedal to catch my eye, i don't have to read through 4 pages of threads with titles like "Fender,SWR, BOSS and more!"

10. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Sorry, it's not possible. With so many ads I thought it was important to have some kind of structure. I thought with only 3 subcats (as opposed to breaking it into effects/ strings/ pickups etc etc) it wouldn't be that much trouble to browse through 2-3 forums depending on what you're itching for...

Anyway I'm sorry - it's set in stone now :)

11. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    You could just use the "subscribe to forum" function for every thread in the classified section, and use the "view subscribed forums" option to view all the classifieds at once.