1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD For Sale. 'Vintage' F Bass. circa 1984. 4 string.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by NickyBass, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    This bass is SOLD!!

***Edit*** I emailed George and he was gracious enough to give me the following info:

-Padauk body and neck,
    -East Indian or Brazilian rosewood neck laminates,
    -hard maple neck center strip,
    -Schaller heads,
    -Hi-A pickups 4S (early Bartolini),
    -single coil reverse P Bass layout,
    -partial phasing switch,
    -Gabon Ebony fretboard,
    -Badass II bridge.

*He made only two of these.
    *both made in 1981.

So, I have no idea where to start. This is a cool bass made by George in the early-mid 80's. It is neck through, passive and equiped with Hi-A pickups. For those who don't know, those are Bartonlini's, before they were called Bartolini. This bass has a very natural, organic tone. It is heavy, weighing in at 11.5ish on my bathroom scale. It has been used and it is starting to show. It has many bumps and bruises, many dings and dents - but nothing major. I believe they call that 'mojo.' There are a few chunks of the side of the pickup cover missing. The electronics can use a good cleaning as they are a bit finicky. Everything works but it is scratchy and sometimes the adjustments aren't as fine as they could be. It could also use a general cleaning. It has a good bit of funk on it. I left both of these things alone to leave it up to the new owner. I figured that not everyone wants a clean bass. I also didn't want to mess with the wiring because I'm not sure if the joints are virgin or not. Probably not, but I'll leave that up to you. There is a screw on the electronics cover that isn't catching.
    Check out the nut placement. That's so cool. Bada%$ II bridge. Gold hardware that is starting to tarnish. Ask any questions. I don't know too much about this bass except that it has a killer tone, and is one of a kind.

More pics here: http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k224/nickybass/F Bass/

F9.gif

I am not in a huge hurry to sell this bass, and there is nothing to compare it to pricewise, so it was hard to come up with a price. I have to put a price on it, so I'm going to say $1650 + $25 shipping. If you are interested, but concerned about the price, PM me, and I will notify you if I decide to lower it. I hate to have to come up with one, but the only info I have is that someone offered me 1700 for it. The deal never materialized though.

2. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    If anyone has any info on this bass, please let me know.

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Send the TB link to George at F Bass and ask him.

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Quoting P.Hilton "That's hot!". I have a 1990 F BN4 and it's my number 1 go to bass. Love it!!!!!! Oh, forgot to mention that Nicky is a TOP NOTCH TBer!

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Inactive

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    PM sent

6. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    ive talked to nicky about this bass as i played it a few years ago at a guitar show in saratoga springs, ny. beautiful bass and it plays and sounds amazing. plus you get to own a piece of f-bass history!!

7. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Thanks GK. It really is a nice bass. I just emailed George and I will post his response.

8. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Bump for new info. See 1st post.

9. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    if that's the F bass that i think it is, it's an awesome piece of gear. did you happen to get it from a guy named Kurt from KC?

10. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Yes, the basses are one in the same. It really is a cool bass, and the more I find out about it, the more I want to keep it. But, in the end, I have to make some room for more gear. It's on the high side of my weight limit. If it was 2-3 lbs lighter, I would be hanging onto it.

11. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    if i weren't so dead-set on getting a ric, you and i would have to talk...

best o'luck with the sale :)

12. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Good luck on the Ric. I don't think that you'll be disappointed.

13. PMd........:)

14. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    All Pm's replied.

15. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    ttt

16. Your Dream Bass

Your Dream Bass Commercial User

Jun 10, 2006
    St Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    Proprietor of Your Dream Bass, Proud North American Distributor of Olivo Basses and all instruments
    Hello,

Is this still available? Where are you located? I'm in Hamilton not too far from George's place. Might be time for that bass to come home!!! Price is a little rich for my blood but perhaps we could talk.

Thanks,
    Terry

17. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Send me a PM with your thoughts.

18. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    bump

19. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    This bass is on hold for the time being. It may be back up for sale, but I'm going to hold it for someone who has a very special attachment to it.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.