Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For slap, how do you fret a root-octave?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Just wondering how y'all slappers fret a simple root-octave combination? I've been practicing by fretting the root with the index finger and the octave with the pinky finger but my pinky finger gets tired really quick. Should I be fretting the octave with the ring finger?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Do whatcha wanna, but know this-
    The RING finger is the weakest finger.

;)

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It doesn't really matter whether you're slapping or not, if you're talking about your fretting hand?

I use index & pinky generally for octaves.

4. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I'd use Index-Pinky for root-octave up until the 9th fret or so, and then use Index-ring.

It's basically how i stop on bass fiddle too...

/lovebown

5. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    i alternate between using my index/pinky and my middle finger/pinky. i especially use middle/pinky when playing higher on the neck.

6. same here. but sometimes i'll do middle/pinky if i'm playing the fret below the root with my index first. or somethin.

7. Ryan K

Ryan K

Dec 11, 2002
    New Jersey
    I use either my index/ring or middle/pinky. Seems im the only one...

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Same here (slap and fingerstyle)

I find myself doing a lot of root-fifth-octave stuff, and it's index-ring all the way there... that's fingerstyle, though, and I guess the question is about slap... oops, my bad :( [2nd edit: Heck, I just caught myself doing this but using the ring for the fifth and the pinky for the octave so - WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T LISTEN TO ME!]

:D

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    It depends on what type of line i'm playing. But i use index-ring, middle-pinky, index pinky, and pinky-index (i.e. going from A on the E string to an A on the G string)

10. No_Fingures

No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    I always use index and ring. was starting to use pinky but used 3rd for so long it just felt wierd

11. Thanks for responses. I was just wondering. After watching Flea demonstrate how to slap bass, I have decided to resume my search for "bass guitar" teacher. Someone who can answer questions such as this...eventually, I will be able to slap!