1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For slap, how do you fret a root-octave?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Just wondering how y'all slappers fret a simple root-octave combination? I've been practicing by fretting the root with the index finger and the octave with the pinky finger but my pinky finger gets tired really quick. Should I be fretting the octave with the ring finger?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Do whatcha wanna, but know this-
    The RING finger is the weakest finger.

;)

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It doesn't really matter whether you're slapping or not, if you're talking about your fretting hand?

I use index & pinky generally for octaves.

4. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I'd use Index-Pinky for root-octave up until the 9th fret or so, and then use Index-ring.

It's basically how i stop on bass fiddle too...

/lovebown

5. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    i alternate between using my index/pinky and my middle finger/pinky. i especially use middle/pinky when playing higher on the neck.

6. same here. but sometimes i'll do middle/pinky if i'm playing the fret below the root with my index first. or somethin.

7. Ryan K

Ryan K

Dec 11, 2002
    New Jersey
    I use either my index/ring or middle/pinky. Seems im the only one...

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Same here (slap and fingerstyle)

I find myself doing a lot of root-fifth-octave stuff, and it's index-ring all the way there... that's fingerstyle, though, and I guess the question is about slap... oops, my bad :( [2nd edit: Heck, I just caught myself doing this but using the ring for the fifth and the pinky for the octave so - WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T LISTEN TO ME!]

:D

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    It depends on what type of line i'm playing. But i use index-ring, middle-pinky, index pinky, and pinky-index (i.e. going from A on the E string to an A on the G string)

10. No_Fingures

No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    I always use index and ring. was starting to use pinky but used 3rd for so long it just felt wierd

11. Thanks for responses. I was just wondering. After watching Flea demonstrate how to slap bass, I have decided to resume my search for "bass guitar" teacher. Someone who can answer questions such as this...eventually, I will be able to slap!