Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For small rock shows: 2x10s or 1x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, May 7, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hello all! I currently have 4x10s. I'm looking to lighten up my load and thinking about instead going to a 2x10 paired with a 1x15. Of course, for small rock shows, assuming one would do the job, one would want to maybe just take one of them.

And so the question: Which one?

:help:

Thanks! You guys are the greatest ever invented in all of the time of space energy medium. Again. :D

-Transverz

2. You may want to consider getting 2 (1x12) cabs. It is a good setup for portability and you can take just one and still achieve a familiar sound. If you have a 1x15 and a 2x10 and take just one you'll be missing something from your familiar sound.

3. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great suggestion. Thanks MuzikMan. But would 2 - 1x12 cabs give a good enough sound when I go back to playing my bigger shows? Still a great suggestion though. Hmm.

-T

4. I have a 2x12 cab and it kicks butt! It hangs in there with a single 4x10 cab. I wish I had the single 1x12 cabs though for the options that it opens.

Besides you can run 3 or 4 of these little cabs if you want!

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Bergantino HT112's are amazing cabs for their size and give cabs much larger a run for their money. The more power you put to them the more they like it!! One of these cabs is plenty for small to medium gigs. Put 2 together and watch out. I highly recommend this set up.

6. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks NeedMoreBass! Hmm...Bergantino huh? How much is a Bergantino 1x12? Can it hang with a loud drummer and a Marshall AVT150H guitarist? We aren't the loudest, but we can get pretty loud. Just for reference, my current 4x10 with 350watts @ 4 ohms going through it out-volumes them with MORE than enough room to spare. Is the Bergantino 1x12 8ohms or 4 ohms? How does 350watts going through a 1x12 sound? Thanks for the suggestion!

-T

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Not to dis the bergantino, but I think an
    Epifani 112 would give you a bigger sound
    with more volume. Its a bigger box than the
    Berg although still very small. The Berg might
    have a bit more cut but the Epi sounds fatter.
    Perhaps an Eden 2x10xlt is a possibility. oooff!!

8. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Here's a link to Bergantino.
    http://www.bergantino.com

I don't know about the Epi's personally, but I think you'll find more people that swear by the Bergs. I may be wrong. I suggest you do a search on both cabs on this forum.

9. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Both cabs are very good. Actually the EA 112
    is possibly the loudest, most efficient of the
    single 12 boxes. Its a matter of taste and
    application. What kind of amp are you going
    to use?

10. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Berg HT/EX 112 stack. LOOK OUT Guitarists! :hyper:

11. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Both are good cabs and it's so good to know that there are quite a few good choices in portable cabs. I spent many years just looking for one. I use EA's, but I've used the Bergs and thought they were better for this application. Just my opinion.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you are looking for 12s, I have a page with the specs for as many 12" cabs as I could find. http://seanm.ca/bass/cabs.html I would not recommend purchasing a cab on specs alone, but the CLX112 should be louder than the Bergs or the Epis. It uses a "transmission line" design that gains an extra 1.5dB in sensitivity. It also has a lower frequency than the others.

13. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I use an Eden 210 and 115 setup. Works great, and if you want a smaller rig just take the 210 cab..

14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "loud drummer and a Marshall AVT150H guitarist"...

IMO that equates with about a kilowatt, and in that case I'd recommend the 15 over the 10's or stand-alone 12's.

When I'm in this type of situation, I use Bag End mini-stacks, consisting of a 15 on the bottom and a 12 on top. One mini-stack is adequate for practice, two for live.

I also occasionally use a stand-alone 15" EVX-155, it's rated a some enormous power, I forget what exactly, I think it's 600 program watts and a kilowatt peak, something like that.

If I were you, in that situation, I'd look into getting two modular 15" cabs. That way you can use either one or two, as needed.

15. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I would say take a 15 over a 210 due to there being more cone area, and usually can handle more power. The 2 12 approach is also a nice idea, I used a EB MM HD212 for quite some time dealing with an AVT 150 half stack and loud drummer and it worked quite well, but also weighed 98lbs. If you are set on 10" speakers I'd say give the Eden D210XST a try, efficient, great frequency responce, and will handle a good amount of power. I would say you are going to need two cabs though, Either a 210 and 115, 2 12's, or 2 15's. I hope this is coherent, I'm under the influence of pain killers because of an accident at a show last night and falling from a 6 ft stage, so if it isn'tplease forgive me.

Peace
    Hope I helped
    -Ben

16. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks everyone for your advice. It's seeming like I'm really gravitating towards a 1x12 on the bottom, a 2x10 on top. I was really thinking about putting a 1x15 on the bottom instead, but playing a 4-string with standard tuning, I really don't think the 1x15 will do any more good than a 1x12.

Am I wrong about this? Plus, the 1x12 would be lighter (I believe). Basically, I love the sound of my 4x10, but hate the heaviness plus I wanted a LITTLE bit more low end, but didn't want to lose the punch. I figured that keeping a couple tens, but adding a 1x12 would give me that same punchy sound except with a little bit more depth.

Eh? :ninja:

-T

17. Sounds like a good plan to me.