Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For String Through on a MIA Jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by oldrocker, Jul 22, 2005.

1. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I apologize in advance. I'm sure this info is up here somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

Ok, so much for the disclaimer, here goes:

I want to replace the strings on my recently purchaced used MIA Fender Jazz Bass. I would like to use Nickel strings and use the the string through body set up.

Through reading back posts here, I learned that the Long Scale D'Addario XL170 string are too short for string through.

I also learned that Fender makes a set, 8250, for string through.

But what I haven't been able to find out, and I even went up on the D'Addario web site:

XL170SL

Will the Super Long XL 170 SL strings fit this Bass?

What other Nickel string options do I have for string through on this Bass?

Thanks

2. reggaeman

reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    SoCal
    I have a 1999 string through body MIA Jazz Bass. I have bought just regular 34" long scale strings and have never had a problem. I currently have my bass strung with D'Addario long scale chromes and its just fine.

3. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Hey reggaeman, You're right, I just picket up a set of XL170 Long Scale strings. Fit perfecty. the E string taper lines up right between the nut and the tuning peg, just whereit should.

Don't know what I was thinking. :meh:

Thanks again.

4. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    As you already know, there's no problem with the 4 string sets on a 34" string-through bridge. It's the 5 string sets you may have been thinking of. The B string winding just barely makes it to the nut.

Tom

5. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    FYI: I got some Labella Deep Talking Stainless Steel Flats in Medium Scale. They don't fit. The G won't even make it to the tuner.

6. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Does anyone know if the JF344's (34" scale) will work for the bridge string through option on a Fender Jazz or whether you need to go JF 364 (36" scale)?

7. reggaeman

reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    SoCal

The JF344's worked fine for my string through fender jazz...