Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For svt ampeg owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terraplane, Jan 19, 2003.

1. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    Hi,
    I've got a question for you:
    I play with a ampeg v4-bh, but I need more power, and i think I'll buy a svt-cl, the big one!
    The question is:
    The balanced out, have no power regulation like an svt2-pro, or a lot of other heads.It's a problem? If you want more power on the stage but the mixer say "no more power please!", how can you get the volume you are looking for, withoutpoto too much power into the balanced out? You think is possible to add a power regulation?
    Thank you,
    michele

2. My experience with the CL's balanced "DI" pertained to recording. And it sucked. Later I was informed that most people find the DIs on most amps to be cheap and lousy. Typically it's better to go with an outboard DI.

As for running live (to the PA) I don't know. With the brute power of the CL you might not want to run to the PA anyway.

As for the Power Regulation point I certainly can not help you. But someone here can I'm sure.

3. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    It appears that all outputs on the SVT-CL are post-master, meaning than any adjustment you make to the gain or master will affect the output jacks. The CL has the XLR out, slave out, and preamp out, and it appears they are all post-master, which makes no sense to me. Unless the goal was to deliver the sound of the preamp and poweramp tubes to the outputs, which would be as close as you could get to actually miking your cabinet. It just sort of seems like you should be offered the option of an output that is post-gain, but pre-master. That way, your signal to the board stays constant, and you just adjust your master volume for on-stage adjustments.

You could look at it this way. The point of having an all-tube amp is to get the sound of the tubes. An output that is pre-master would defeat this.

The clubs I've been to around Kansas City all mic the cabinets anyway. And in this case, or even in the case of the post-master output, it seems like you could (a) get the soundman to back off on his gain, allowing you to turn up on stage or (b) get the soundman to boost you in the monitor mix.

So even though it sucks that the CL doesn't offer you the option of a pre-master output, it would seem like the post-master output, or better yet miking the cabinet, would be the "purest" way to go. That way you will get the true sound of your rig. Just get the soundman to work with you.

4. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    As for "power regulation" I think the solution, if you do choose to use the XLR out, is to get a qualified tech to re-wire your XLR so it is post-gain and pre-master. That way, the gain and tone controls go out the XLR, but you are free to adjust the master volume independently. I don't speak from experience, but I would imagine that such a modification is possible.

5. wesarvin

wesarvin

Jul 23, 2010
    Houston
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone think that this mod is possible? I've been using an active DI on my loop send just to get the signal up and clean. Some soundguys complain of low levels coming from that XLR send.

A pre-master send would sure be nice...

6. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Actually, you just add the parts from the SVT-2Pro circuit and you have an adjustable level pre/post DI. If you have the SVT-CL schematic, you also have the schematic for this change.

The pre-post change requires a DPDT switch (and a hole to mount it in). The adjustable DI level requires three resistors and a pot (and a hole to mount that in).

7. wesarvin

wesarvin

Jul 23, 2010
    Houston
    Thanks.

I'm good with simple soldering, but not too savvy with circuitboards. Is it a simple mod to do?

8. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    If you're not savvy with circuit boards, then you probably don't want to try it. You'll also need to drill mounting holes in the SVT chassis for the pot and pre/post switch.

9. wesarvin

wesarvin

Jul 23, 2010
    Houston
    Then it's the old DI on the speaker out that buggy soundguys are going to get.