1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For teachers

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by miltslackford, Oct 10, 2013.

1. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    Hey guys

I made this app this year -

I want to be clear also - this is free to use, we are not charging to use it, so this is NOT spam.

I have recently left teaching and started a new job in instructional design, and this web app was part of my portfolio for getting the job. So now it's done and we have no plans to monetize it.

Anyway, it's here www.tiichoo.com and I have been using it for the past few months and (though I say so myself) it's really really useful.

I have shown it to a few teachers but I'm surprised nobody is really using it yet. If you want to see what it does here is a video of me demoing it

Anyway - hope a few people find it useful. Like I said this is just out there for fun and it's free. My students really like it too, so give it a try!

2. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    NoScript doesn't like your choice of content scripts. Your page won't render for me.

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    I like the idea, but the reality of it is distraction.
    I have used a few different computer based programmes, software and apps in the past, and have come to the conclusion that their worth in teaching information is relevant to the person using it.....they are great until they crash or lose the info.
    The distraction is the use of such programmes and apps, what they offered me for administration i already had in a simple filing system on paper.
    Each student has their own folder, and within that folder is their playing record and notes of what they have covered, the work they should be covering, and how well they are learning.
    Lesson details can be written out, not printed, the student can reference and write out for themselves any information they need and use. It also means they have to think about what they do...which is the hardest part of teaching i find, to many just reference info rather than learn it.

The folder belongs to them, they take it home, they look after it, it is their responsibility, this is also another valuable lesson they learn....that their playing future is in their hands.

Great idea and i will always check out such things as this modern world has many things that make life easier, but not always better.....for example, you show you students details on a screen on the internet without obscuring any details......a simple programme to zoom in an revel that info would not be hard to use to 'steal' those details, as would a simple programme used to obscure them.
    Another distraction of software based programmes is all that info in one place, i may lose of mis-place a single file, but never all of them. Having to wait for systems to boot up, or servers down is wasting my time. In a world of '1hour' lessons i cannot waste their time with my problems.

Good idea though, things will only develop from trial and error, or having a use that is functional to fill a gap in the market, or create a market of course. :)

4. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    Thanks for that - I will check that out

5. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback Fergie - much appreciated.

I understand your issues about not wasting time by changing a system that works already. I didn't come to convince anyone to use this system - it's there if people want to, but it's still interesting to hear why people wouldn't want to use it.

I designed it for my own needs and I have found it saves ME a lot of time - especially because I use guitar pro a lot to make tabs and I generally use my laptop for everything. Using paper was getting in the way for me. I also had issues with students forgetting their sheets from one week to the next - no longer a problem. Or with email - forgetting to check or being confused about the fact that an email had been sent - no longer a problem. I can write notes quickly in one place and the student can see them also with no extra time used. I only was teaching half hour lessons, so time is even more of the essence for me!

Lots of the students like the fact that they can have their mp3s (for backing tracks, songs etc) up straight away. I no longer have to burn CDs or make tapes for people. In general it saves me a lot of time and for some students, even ones with iPads, they can do everything without sheets of paper now. Once I upload something onto the system, it's instant to share it again and again.

So it works really well for me (I did design it for me), but I realise that every teacher has their own system, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Thanks for the feedback though and for checking it out - it's good to know what people think.

6. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    No probs, totally agree with the idea for an "Internet Generation" that use technology, maybe i am the problem not the technology LOL.
    Your apps does exactly what i do on paper, so i suppose there will come a time where i will use it, so nice to know people, especially players, are developing it, rather than techs. :)

7. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Heh. Who's presentation was worse, yours or mine?
    Seriously though, in this day and age, I don't have ten seconds to devote to a badly designed website, and I will never, ever, ever, sign up for anything while knowing that little about it.

8. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    i. e., healthcare.gov?

:D

9. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    Thanks for penning that response, presumably it took less than 10 seconds?