For that Marty Robbins/Grady Martin sound...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Michedelic, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I wonder how close it gets to this...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Evil_Druid likes this.
  2. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    I would imagine it can get close

I’ve heard varying opinions about the apostrophe tone though, the most popular rumor is that Jack Bruce was using a Gibson EB-0 with a built in fuzz for this recording. More recently I have heard that Frank let Jack use his modded big muff for the track

Either way it could be worth a shot!

3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Jack played a dual pickup EB-3, which had an aftermarket diode installed(by Dan Armstrong)to goose the output. That, as opposed to the rare EB-0F, which was the single mudbucker model with a dedicatedly built-in Maestro fuzz box circuit. Still, the sound on that track is unlike anything heard on a Cream, WBL, or solo album. Very bright and buzzy. Bruce had alternately disowned it, or denied playing on it, for some reason.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Evil_Druid likes this.
  4. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    I have no idea why he disowned it either :thumbsdown:
    In any case it was a juxtaposition of two musical powerhouses

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021