1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For the DB750 Owners.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RexNFX79, Mar 30, 2009.

1. No way I'm getting rid of my 750

52 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. May buy the 751

9 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. Definitely buying the 751

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    So I have a DB750 and I'm wondering if any of the 750 owners are thinking that they might drop the 750 for the 751?
    I think I'm keeping mine unless I play the thing and it just blows me away. I saw the other thread and just thought it would be interesting to see a poll on this.

2. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Keeping my 750.

3. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    My 750 melts my face every time I play it. No reason at all to part ways with it.

4. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Not getting rid of my 750. The 751 looks cheap compared to the 750 and I can't really imagine that the 751 would be that much better or if it was even better at all.

5. sandmann

sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    why should i get rid of my db750? i just bought a tone hammer and now have all options that the db751 has plus more.

sandmann

6. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't own a 750 but know a number of people who do. I actually like them, A LOT! If it weren't so darn big and heavy. I would probably have one. That said, I have talked to a number of people who own the 750 who feel the same way..The 750 is darn good as it is. No reason to change. The only downside for 750 owners...the 751 could potentially harm 750 resale value. Just my 2 cents

7. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Keeping the DB750 - it's perfect. Seriously, this is the only amp I know of that is designed perfectly and sounds like the voice of God.

8. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    You people are silly and make tone decisions without your ears.

IMO, YMMV, KJSDFKJBSDJVDDSEFJSDFMNASDKJHAE.......

9. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Look like a cheaper DB750. The knobs and deep/bright switches are cheapish looking. I hope they don't touch the DB750.

10. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't know that I would necessarily say cheaper..different, yes. IMHO, the 751 is a bit sleeker looking and more intuitive. Not as "industrial" looking as the 750 but that does not always mean cheaper.
    Just my opinion...and you get what you pay for. :smug:

11. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    If by that you mean "I hope they don't make the DB750 anymore" then you're in luck!

12. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    To be fair, the DB751 is not made for DB750 owners. They already have a great amp. The DB751 has updated features (pre and eq sections) and, from what I've read, a pretty desirable sound.

If you'd buy one SVT and not another because of the knobs or graphic on the front without hearing or playing them, then I don't know what to say...

You can always print a pic of a DB750, glue it to a piece of cardboard and set it in front of your amp.

13. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    No way in hell I'm getting rid of my DB750. I'll check out the 751, and if I think it's really that amazing, I'll buy it. But chances are.... Probably not.

IMHO, the "one up" won't be enough to coax people out of their DB750's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think as far as we're concerned, there was nothing wrong with it to begin with. Really, the most common thing DB750 owners tend to bitch about is the weight of the amp, and unless the 751 is dramatically smaller and lighter, which it isn't, I don't see current owners flocking to the 751.

I also disagree with the 751 hurting 750 resale value. If anything, I see DB750's acheiving "Classic" status and going up in value.

14. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Again...why does everyone seem to think the DB751 is supposed to draw current DB750 owners away from their amps?

Dave Boonshoft can be quoted from the other thread as saying:

15. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    That's why. It was the OP's question, so we're answering it.

16. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Then I should have also quoted the OP but I figured the use of "everyone" would make my question universal enough.

Back to the conjecture...

17. Frankiebass59

Frankiebass59

Feb 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Think I'l be keeping my DB750. I waited too long for it to even think giving that monster tone/power up. Might think about adding a Tone Hammer to my arsenal though.......

18. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I actually spoke with an Aguilar endorsee today who had a chance to A/B the 750 and 751. He said that the 751 is noticeably louder, suprisingly enough. He felt the 750 had a bit more of a vintage growly tone over the 751. But, with some teaking to the EQ and gain could pretty much get the same tones out of it. That said, even as an endorsee. He said he was not going to get rid of the 750 to get a 751. In the end, he said it was not better or worse..just slightly different.

19. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    I'm not bashing the 751 or anything, I haven't even tried it. Just thought it would be interesting to see what 750 owners thought about making a switch or if anyone was considering it. I can't see changing because I don't think that it will be that much better. That said, I do agree with the people who say that isn't the purpose of this amp. The changes seem to be a marketing tool to draw new Aguilar customers and I have no issues with that, you have to keep up and respond to the customer.

20. LouisV

LouisV

May 19, 2006
    mill valley, CA
    I'm just happy there was only the DB750 to choose from when I bought it. Though I haven't tried the DB751, if it's as high quality as the 750 (and i can only guess it is), it would have be a tough choice... might have bought them both. I'll keep my 750.