For the Dean Markley Blue Steel fans

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Hey, I just got my Sadowsky 45/105 strings today in the mail.

They sound pretty damn good, I mean I wasn't expecting them to be that great..its not like they're actually THE Sadowsky bass.

Anyway. They have a good balanced brightness/lowness to them. I'd like to get a 5 string to hear that low B :D

Anyway. If your a steel-playing kinda guy, looking to check out a new set of strings, you might want to give these a shot.

Like all steel strings, they're a bit rough at first. But I boiled them for 20 minutes or so, they're alot smoother now :D
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Don't boil strings, put them in a jar filled with alcohol for cleaning (at room temperature).
  3. Wha...?

I've never even HEARD of that. Look at it this way. I could spend a ton of money to keep getting alcohol..or I just could use tap water and boil them.

Boiling seems alot easier to me anyway. Get's the job done.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So you spend money on a new set of strings, and then kill them with water? Boiling strings is absolutely the worst thing you can do to them, especially if they are new.

If you want broken in stainless steel strings, I will sell you my old sets for $5.00 per set + shipping.
  5. The alcohol can be used over and over. And really, it IS easier! I was a boiler too, but converted to alcohol thanks to TB (...ehm, still talking 'bout string cleaning here :eek: )
  6. JeffL

Nov 12, 2002
    Being a brand new member, I must say that their seems to be a lot of participation in this forum. So I was pleased that a friend recommended it.

My name is Jeff Landtroop and I am the General Manager for the manufacturing division of Dean Markley Strings. Obviously, the reference to the Blue Steel Bass Strings caught my attention though I am not quite sure what the connection was to the Sadowski Strings. As many of you know the Blue Steel Strings have been a very popular string for about 15 years. The artists who are loyal Blue Steel users are some of the top bass players in music.

We know that there are many good strings on the market today for players to choose from. This is a good thing because it makes everyone work a little harded to offer players even better strings. We constantly are working on material improvements as well as finding better manufacturing methods to help improve our ability to provide a consistant product every time. This does not even address the new product development.

The other point that I would like to make is that we are a lot smaller group than most people think. In the manufacturing group we have about 50 people. I only mention this because the access to our organization is quite easy at our website. As a matter of fact, we greatly value the feedback from players like each of you. Good or Bad feedback, both are very valuable. For the past couple of years I have had the pleasure of handling the bulk of the customer service for Dean Markley Strings, along with my duties here at the factory. I have had fun and I have been challenged by many bass players to know more about their specific needs.

I would personally like to hear from anyone who has questions about our bass string line. I hope that I can help.

Best Wishes,

7. My fault. My old set of strings were Blue Steel, and I just tried out the Sadowsky.

May I kiss your hand? lol :D
  8. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I personnally use Dean Markley Blue Steel strings for the last 15 years or so. Honestly, I never had any problems with them. I also received a wonderful customer service from Dean Markley and especially from Jeff.

For instance, I just reinstalled an old set of Blue steel strings on one of my Bass. After months of playing, they still sound good !!! I sometimes keep old sets as back up and was about to trash that set but hey, it still does the job !
  9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I use them, I love them. I'm going to try the nickel plated blue steels next. How do they differ from the s.s. blue steels in tone and feel?
  10. JeffL

Nov 12, 2002
    I don't think that many players even now there is a Nickel choice in the Blue Steel Line.

The Nickel version is definitely a warmer string than the Stainless Original but we have gotten some great reviews on those strings from Custom Bass builders as well as some artists. They're easier on the fingers and have a good punchy tone, while they have less of the gritty tonality of Stainless. In some applications you might prefer to have that smoothness instead.

I hope that you like them but I will warn you that they are different than the original.

11. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I've been using Blue Steels since they were introduced. I really like them; they outlast anything I've tried.

Say, JeffL, I have a question for ya:

WHY are bass strings so damned expensive? It chaps my ass to have to plunk down that kind of cash for strings. Don't you or any other TB member give me the standard manufacturer's BS speech either. Conspiracy theorist that I am, I have thought for years that gougery was going on with bass string prices. Prove me wrong; I dare ya!;) I hope I'm wrong about that.:cool:
  12. JeffL

Nov 12, 2002
    Well, I won't try to prove you wrong. I felt like someone took a whip to me when I bought my truck but I bought it anyway. The cost difference between guitar and bass may not seem fair, but I am sure that you realize most of the following:

#1 They are all (4-7 strings) wound strings (normally)

#2 A set of bass strings has a minimum of 8 cover wraps which are individually wound (maximum of 14).

#3 The compounding of windings over one another makes scrap more costly.

#4 Every string manufacturer uses their best, most experienced, and highest paid employees on bass strings because it takes considerably more talent and attention to detail than guitar.

#5 The machinery that we use for bass strings is substantially more expensive than machinery for guitar strings.

#6 Silking on a bass string is very expensive and a time consuming job to apply. Our people are artists with that.

#7 Packaging Bass strings takes twice as many labor hours than guitar and because it is so easy to bend bass strings, we only use our best, most experienced, and once again highest paid people for that.

#8 I am sure that you realize that our strings are not made in Mexico, Korea, or China so the expense of being in business is considerably higher here in the USA. I would not recommend buying the cheap imports (side note: I've seen Korean strings and they are real crap)

#9 Finally, You're playing Blue Steel strings. I hope that you are playing them because you like them the best but I have to say that the additional "cryo" costs and the transportation involved adds to the retail cost even more.

I am not saying that Bass strings are not expensive but I think things are all relative. That's my best explanation. I hope you keep playing Blue Steels! JeffL
  13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks for your reply. I'll try them out. This always kills my cousin, he works for Martin:D
  14. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I will!

Your explanation was thoughtful and I appreciate the time you put into it. I did realize some of those things you pointed out, some I didn't know. I've spent thousands on Blue Steels over the years and don't regret it as far as the quality, playability and longevity.
    I wasn't singling out Dean Markley; all decent bass strings are expensive. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet like everybody else and keep taking the KY with me when I go buy strings!

I guess I can look at it this way: keep selling the cheap stuff to guitarists. They deserve it!:cool:
  15. I love Blue Steel Nickles on my Jazz and Precision basses. Warm, thumping sound and they last me for months before I replace them. I even save the old ones for backup in case one breaks or dies during a gig - that way the new string sounds 'broken in' and not too bright or clangy.

I use the Stainless steels for my Spector and my Warwick because they are much brighter and give slapping, popping and tapping a hell of a bite.

Now if I can only get a sponsorship ;)