1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

? for the experts re: string-through-body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by yodedude2, Apr 18, 2009.

1. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

hello all, i would like your opinion on this issue:

<snip>

my original post contained some misinformation. my bad. to avoid future confusion, i have edited and deleted my posts in this thread. if a moderator were to delete this thread, it would be fine with me. thanks for your help y'all, ron

2. B7.

Like the MM bridge above - drill some well-placed holes in the bridge plate (well placed = not close to the screws that hold the bridge to the body) and drill matching holes in the body, then install the proper ferrules in the back of the body to hold the ball ends.

3. If you are concerned about how it will look, I would make up a custom bridge plate that is longer than the original Fender style. It could be 1" longer if that is the length you need bent, drilled and chromed. Of course, you would need longer screws and springs.

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't understand why you are trying to make the string longer behind the bridge. If the strings are too long, just cut the ends

5. I suspect that his E tuner is not slotted wide enough for the fat string.

I presume he is using short scale strings.

6. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    Hipshot's Vintage bent plate bridge

[​IMG]

can be custom ordered with a string-thru option. (note - I don't have an image of this bridge with the added string-thru holes included, sorry) I've used them on basses which the client wanted a vintage-ish look plus string-thru. an excellent bridge more than worthy of your consideration

all the best,

R

7. What am I missing......you basically want to change the entire bridge so that you don't have to cut the string to proper length?

How about finding where you need to cut the string, securing the tape along about 1/4" on either side with some superglue, cut it and wind it around the tuners as normal, then tune up.

Where's the tape going to go after you've wound up the string around the tuning post?

8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Speaking from experience, this doesn't work - even with epoxy instead of CA glue. The tape is wound under tension and is not affixed to the string beneath it. As soon as its cut, it just slides off the string with the glue.

Nice thinking though, we're obviously alike. You're solution is the first one I tried when I was attempting to put tapewounds on a shorty... :D

9. Then you might check with LaBella to see if you can get some special lengths.

10. Hi.

If You change the bridge to a Warwick two piece style, you can mount the stop piece as far as you like, if the body has enough room that is. Might have to increase the neck angle though to ensure proper break angle over the saddles.

Regards
    Sam

11. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Interesting ideas, all of them...

Would turning the bridge and bass into a string-through combination give some extra string tension if standard-length strings are used?

12. Hi.

Exactly as much as using spacers or other gimmics that are supposed to change the tension = NONE.

Regards
    Sam

13. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    You might have just enough room to try something like this - I know the photo shows a Tune-O-Matic bridge, but I've done similar with vintage Fender bent-plate style bridges too.

attachment.

-t

Attached Files: