1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For the Fender experts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Mar 23, 2006.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    what year did Fender first introduce the Rosewood fingerboard on it's Precision Bass?

2. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I'm no expert, but I have seen/heard of P-basses with rosewood fretboards as early as 1959; though it seems generally accepted that the year was 1960.

3. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I would say 1960 when the jazz bass was introduced.:)

5. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Yeah, after checking "The Bass Book", it seems the first year was indeed 1959.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Thanks guys,I just spoke with someone at Fender and 59 it was.

7. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Is it true that their first active instrument was a version of the Strat? I've heard this somewhere. When?

8. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

As far as I'm aware, their first active bass was the Fender Precision Special from 1980 (or thereabouts). It came in white, Candy Apple Red or Lake Placid Blue, with gold hardware and matching headstock. They later added a Walnut version.

9. pocket_groover

pocket_groover Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
  10. I thought I had seen some 58 P-basses with Rosewood boards...maybe not though.

11. 1959 is indeed the first year of the rosewood board on a precision.
    we just took one in at daddys junky music, it's an early 1959 with rosewood board....you can check it out at "daddys.com"
    interesting to note is that this particular instrument had no date stamp on the heal of the neck, it seems that in the later part of 1958 some fender employees were writing explitives on the neck heal and Leo forbid the date or anything else from being written on the neck, we dated it by the pots, tuners, headstock decal, serial number on neckplate, type of bridge and pickguard.... :)