Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For the Figured Top Jazz Fans

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 12, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

This bass is providing some serious gas for me, everything just seems to fit so well . Here is the customer write up This Warmoth Bass features an SwampAsh Body with Quilted Maple Top and Tobacco Sunburst Finish. The Neck is Goncalo Alves with Ebony Fretboard and custom pearloid block inlay made by a befriended guitar luthier. I mounted DiMarzio UltraJazz Passive Pickups, a J-Retro Preamp and pearloid pickguard from Warmoth. Gotoh "string-through-body" bridge is also included. The headstock has a pearloid inlayed guy from jamiroquai for fun. Only the headstock front has been finished in high gloss. the rest of the neck is oil finished - for this real fast feel. I am very proud about this because it sounds great with this vintage look featuring modern electronics and parts. Would do this every time again...

Gerald Dallhammer
    December 2001

.Does Warmoth do pearliod blocks in their fingerboards?.Enjoy! :) :bassist:

Attached Files:

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    wow that looks nice. warmoth is looking REALLY nice nowadays

3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Warmoth does Cream block inlays. But, according to their website, they only a few at a time. So you can't custom order necks with blocks. You can only get them from the "showcase". If anyone over there at warmoth is listening, you guys really need to offer blocks/binding as a custom option!

4. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I agree! That looks great! I purchased a Jazz in tobacco sunburst at Christmas:
    [​IMG]
    and have fallen in love with that finish. I am now, as we speak, thinking seriously of ordering a Warmoth body myself. I figure "what the hell! Why not build one myself!?!" Never done it before, but what the heck? Anyway, great looking Warmoth you got there!!

5. MAJOR METAL

How close do you think the cream blocks look to the pearliod in the first pic?.

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
  7. MAJOR METAL

Yeah they are pretty diffrent, thanks for your help. :)

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    For bieng "MAJOR METAL" you got some pretty nice taste in basses!!Throw a low B on that thing and I'm ready to lick it and put a stamp on it!!!(even though I hate those knobs, and saying that, I couldn't come-up with another knob selection that really worked!)

9. MAJOR METAL

It was a Military Nick Name the only Metal i like is Metallica. :bassist: . Brian from Warmoth said they can do pearliod blocks :hyper: .

10. MAJOR METAL

What kind of knobs do you think those are?.

11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    That looks like it might be a J-Retro Deluxe onboard preamp.

Also, you could go with an AllParts neck. They do pearl blocks and binding, and I think they cost a little less than Warmoth's version.

http://www.basspartsresource.com/bass_necksallparts.htm

12. MAJOR METAL

How does AllParts quality compare to Warmoth?.

13. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've never purchased a Warmoth neck. I have purchased other Warmoth parts, and I was very happy with them. I have purchased an AllParts guitar neck that I was very happy with as well. But, I'm not able to compare Warmoth and Allparts bass necks.

Maybe you could PM Nino Valenti. I'm sure he's used both, and could give you some 1st-hand knowledge...

14. MAJOR METAL

I was thinking about doing something similar to this for my back up to the Sadowsky being built for me.I would also have it before then which would help since i only have 2 hollow body basses right now.

15. Qohelet

Qohelet

Dec 20, 2004
    MetroWest, MA
    I looked at both for one of my basses. The Warmoth cost a bit more but it is made much better. The fingerboard is thicker, the neck is triple reinforced, and if you hardfinish it, it's guaranteed not to turn into a pretzel. I was just talking to the guys there today about a fretless I want to build....

16. MAJOR METAL

I got a chance to talk to Brian from Warmoth today as well, he is a very nice and knowledgeable guy. :)

17. MAJOR METAL

Everything works so well together on this bass.

18. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I just picked this baby up........

19. MAJOR METAL

20. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    beautifull jazz bass