Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

for the first time ever, I can't find a band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    @ the ripe old age of 31 I can't find anything I want to be in. I get offers, but nothing I'm into. If I get one more call about an AIC cover band I may start to become a little less than polite. This is very frustrating. I like making music on my own, but I REALLY like playing a band, getting into that groove with others in a similar mind set and listening to everyone read each others minds and play. For whatever reason, I'm not finding those people right now.

/end whining.

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Instead of looking for an existing band that you can fit into, start your own.

Start looking for and auditioning other players who have the same ideas you do. You'd be surprised how many others are out there "lurking" around with the same ideas.

3. I feel ya dude. Everyone here wants to play emo, screamo, hardcore punk garage indie pop rock! While I would like to play something along the vein of Soilwork, In Flames, Meshuggah. Man I need to move to Sweden.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Hang in there...in time there will be something available...and yeah, you could start your own band and have complete control over it.

I remember when I moved back here from St.Louis. I could not find a single group that wanted to play the kind of music I was into. It was the 80's and everyone wanted to play all the lame "hair-band" junk, ala Poison, Ratt, etc.

I went back to just practicing bass, playing acoustic guitar and writing for awhile...until some "real" musicians' came a'calling. Put ads up everywhere looking for other other musicians to either join and existing one or to start a new one and list the kind of music you are into.

I find it goes in cycles. Bands come and go all the time. I live in a somewhat smaller community of musicians and once they all hook up...it's just a matter of time until the bands all shake up and change around, where things become available again.

Have patience...it will come your way.

6. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    My prob is that everyone around here wants to play classic rock or southern blues! I am not into any of that! And its been like years since i have even met a good musician! I see this as the better you get the harder it is to find someone unless you settle! I was about to settle when just the other day a guitar player called me and said he loved john scofield and m,m,w I almost dropped dead on the floor that a guitar player called me and said hey you wanna do a lynard skynard song?

I remember when I moved back here from St.Louis. I could not find a single group that wanted to play the kind of music I was into. It was the 80's and everyone wanted to play all the lame "hair-band" junk, ala Poison, Ratt, etc

Hey atleast back in the 80s you had to be a good musican to pull off those hair bands! Now all the young guys have figured out that hey you dont to know how to play anything to be in a band! :mad:

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    You did? I found those bands/music to be quite boring and repetitive. Most of the bands who wanted to cover those hair bands were immature and lousy musicians, which is really all that was required. Come to think of it, would anyone but an immature person think those bands were cool?

I agree, nowdays, most of the junk that is playing requires little or no skill to play. I was watching the Grammy's with my family...and some lame band played some lame song (that everyone in the audience apparently loved)...and I taught my 10 year old how to play it on guitar before the song was over! It was 5 notes over and over again, ad nauseum...and the lyrics were dull and uninspiring.

Today, one might as well be in a cover band, since even the big acts are really just cover bands now too. Modern top 40...the new opiate of the masses.

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Go the same route as Joe Jackson-Have a bunch of kids and beat them until they play it right! Tito ROCKS!

9. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    I played in those 80s bands! LOL i got paid and laid from it! What were you doing at the time? I of course dont play that stuff now. I mainly play jam jazz now but i might play in a 80s cover band for the fun of it! And i might be imature but man i am a happy man these days! Actually i have always been a happy man! So i say to evryone be imature atleast 3 days a week!

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI

What was I doing at the time? After I got back and hooked up with a hot band, I was playing all over the country, getting laid and paid too. In fact, I thought the "sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll" phrase was coined because of my band. Total insanity...and a great time!

However, we did not need to resort to playing "hair band" songs such as the likes of Rat Poison and their ilk. That was always more about looking the part than knowing how to play anything worthwhile.

At that time I was playing covers like Pat Travers, Jeff Beck, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Tommy Bolin, Aerosmith, Jethro Tull, etc.

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Bliss, I hear you. Do what I did, start up your own website ($65 a year) and put your own songs on it. You can then use it to help you find musicians without having to haul gear across town only to find that you are auditioning for a Good Charllotte tribute band.

12. Hmmm...interesting. I, myself, am a novice (year and a half or so) and am finding that I can't find anyone to play with. I enjoy music of all sorts and if its good and I get into it I can definitely do well with it. The prob is, as a student (exams starting, will be only working in summer) I have little time or knowledge for finding a band to play with. Hell, I'll jam with any musician as long as they like what they're doing and it doesnt annoy me :) .
    I'm sure there are thousands of threads like this, but from you "experienced" guys, would you think it would be a good idea to put up flyers advertising myself? I mean, i hardly have time to be a serious player after summer, so...any advice in finding people to play with?

13. Would you like some cheese with your whine???

:bag:

Sorry - I couldn't resist. :D

Blisshead, I can relate and I'm truly sorry that you're going through this 'trench' right now. It sucks to have the ability and passion, but no comrades to make it happen. Please don't lose the faith, do continue be patient with yourself and others. I promise something will work out. Usually it happens by accident, or when you least expect it... life is funny (read: cruel) that way.

:)

14. Hey, man...nothing beats some good french cheese and wine. ummmmm........anyway...

15. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Ah, the old no gig (no girlfriend) syndrome. My musician friends and I alwalys get a laugh out of this one. For some reason the two situations parellel each other. One day nothing, and then out of the blue you have to choose between two or three! Hang in there, and by all means keep networking. Show up and participate in local open jams if any are availabe. The same thing with visiting live shows and music stores. You never know when the next opportunity will present itself. Just hope you don't leave fifteen minutes before it presents itself. Good luck!!

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks everyone, I must work on this patience thing you speak of.

Basstriaxis - your right! I do have a website I could actually update someday. All the content save the front page is damn old. It wouldn't replace being in a good band, but it's better than nothing I guess.

bimplizkit, I like new york style cheddar. thanks! ;)

17. You've kept a sense of humor about things.... that's a good sign. Good luck finding your band, Bliss. :) Every time I play live, I appreciate what I have (steady gig) and wish that all my bass brethren (and siteren? :) ) could enjoy the feeling of moving the folk onto the dance floor... :cool: :) .

18. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Exactly what I did! I has taken about 6 months, but the final piece of the puzzle will hopefully come in tonite when we bring in a new vocalist :hyper: And I have a major say in what we do!

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Good luck with the vocalist!

20. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks! Can't wait to start gigging!