1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For the Industrial, alternative multi-musician??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spector29, Mar 15, 2008.

1. spector29

spector29

Aug 30, 2007
    Hey all,
    I recently asked about a good preamp or combo that weighs little for traveling by public transport to gigs etc in London. I found that the PJB flightcase would be best BUT!!!

Now this may be hard but I'm a multi-musician and play guitar often but usually go for heavier bass tones, for instance KILLING JOKE.
    Maybe most of you haven't heard of them or don't really like them. I'm 20 and I find it very hard to even find someone twice my age whos heard the name.
    Anyway what rig (thats not huge and ****in heavy) would you suggest?
    I was looking into some kind of Trace Elliot combo or head mixed with whatever I can get in terms of Cabs as I'm in their homeland.
    I must mention I play all styles and am mostly orientated around a jazz style, which I think would prefer a modular set-up. I don't have too much $$ until I find a job in London so around 500 pounds max, again though the Flighcase is around 550-600 pounds so that may suffice yet not have a brutal rock tone.

For instance in heavier bass tones www.myspace.com/visionsofcontact
    and the song Foolish Thing or This Feeling.
    I play to the song and these songs don't require fiddling haha so excuse the repetitiveness.
    Matt.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I remember Killing Joke. :) They were popular among skater punks when I was a young teen.

You have a contradiction on your hands. Heavy tone, brutal rock, skater punk, they require large speaker cabs and/or a lot of power. Generally speaking it takes lots of power to project heavy bass tones, and it takes lots of speaker surface area to transfer all that power into the air. That usually means big and heavy. But you are also asking for light and easily portable.

Your best bet is going to be one of the new ultralight amps (MarkBass, Genz Benz Shuttle, etc.) combined with a super efficient cab like a Schroeder. Trying to get a rig like that under 500 GBP may be difficult- but look into a second-hand MarkBass rig, as they are European, so the economics tilt in your favor.

Note though that you are asking for a compromise. There are light amps, and there are efficient small cabs, but there is always a tradeoff in terms of tone or frequency range or some other quality- we haven't gotten to the "have your cake and eat it" stage of amp physics yet. And the amps that are starting to approach that quality are $$$$$$. :)

3. spector29

spector29

Aug 30, 2007
    Yeah I understand completely, I'm not the kind of person to crank things, I like to get a good tone and then listen to the band.
    500 pounds isn't a lot but once I get a job I should be able to boost those funds.
    I thought basically, someone here should've tried something that fills my needs or close two.

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I'm not really sure what sort of amp you should get...

but I do have an unplayed, original copy of Killing Joke's Ha! 10" vinyl.
    :D

[​IMG]

5. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    What about using your (small) amp mostly as an on-stage monitor, and send your signal directly to the mixing board via a Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver Direct Input (SABDDI) which does a pretty credible Ampeg SVT sound, I'm told. As long as you are playing gigs with decent PA's, that could be a solution. Usually, nothing sounds as massive as the PA's subwoofers, when it comes to reproducing your bass. Get your dirt from the SABBDI or some other distortion pedal and let the PA do the heavy lifting.

Rehearsals may not be all that satisfying, and if you are playing rooms with bad sound systems, that could be a problem. But if you're on public transportation then moving a 2x15 or 8x10 speaker cab is out of the question.

6. rawdogg

rawdogg

Feb 12, 2008
    KILLING JOKE RULES!!! I saw them at the Limelight in NYC in the mid-90's. As far as sound I agree that using a SANS AMP BASS DRIVER is a great idea. You can use a smaller amp and get a great sound. Like an SVT or other tube amp. I've seen people use them live with NO amp. Just plug into the PA. It sounds like you're playing thru a tube amp. I have an SVT and I still use the SANS AMP. They are great!!! Especially if you're using public trans. You won't need to hump an amp around at all if the venue has a decent PA.

7. spector29

spector29

Aug 30, 2007
    Thats what I was looking into, especially the new vt bass (no DI though) but I've got a good active DOD one anyway.
    Maybe the programmable to cover bases.
    But it's very frustrating as a lot of venues don't have subs especially decent ones and especially rehearsal....I'd be struggling.
    Just a thought,
    Does anyone know what Selmer tube amps are like??
    I've seen quite a few on ebay uk that are incredibly cheap, working and powerful. They could be a good budget decision, yet I could end up spending more on tubes down the line as I did with my last tube head.
    Ah options.