Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For THe Love of Money by The O'Jays - bass effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Mar 27, 2005.

1. What is the bass effect? I've heard Flanger but I'm not sure. And if I were to buy this pedal, would it be useful for many things? Are there any great pedals that are notoriously well knwon and well priced.

2. I think it's a phaser- hopefully someone who knows will chime in. I've often heard this tune referred to as an example of phaser(right or wrong, I dunno). As to how useful it would be, I wouldn't want to over-use it, but being a not-too-often-used-for-bass-effect, it appeals to me somewhat. I think it could sound good if it wasn't layed on super-thick.

3. Yep, a phaser driven by none other than Anthony Jackson.

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Yeah, a phaser. I don't know if it was an MXR Phase 90, but the new Phase 90's get that sound, and can probably be more subtle if you're into that kind of thing. Jackson also has a reverb on the first pass through his riff.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You're making me feel old! That tune came out when I was a freshman in college. I believe that AJ was either using a Maestro Phase Shifter or the early MXR. I think that they were the only ones out at the time.

6. So how much do these pups run?

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Maestros are no longer made so big $$$ as a "vintage" effect.

MXR Phase 90 is about $70 new (way more for vintage "originals", of course :rolleyes: ) or $130 for the Eddie Van Halen signature version.

8. is there a huge difference between the phase 90 and the van halen version, or is it basically just his name slapped on the box and the price was upped?

9. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Man, AJ wore that thing out in the 70's and early 80's on all those Al Dimeola albums. OK effect, but really got old after a while. One song? OK. 2? Well, maybe. A whole record? Jeez, I dunno. Several records? (I think I had like 3 or 4 with that effect from him), Uhhhh..... :scowl:

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Agreed. I think Pat Metheny did the same thing with the chorused guitar.

:eyebrow: :rollno: :eyebrow:

11. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Well, I suppose. It's tough for me because I love Pat so much, and I'm very biased towards him. But I think you have a point. When he "switched" to his dry sound in the late 80's, I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. For some reason though, AJ's thing bugged me more. Probably because it seemed more inappropriate being a comping/groove role, as opposed to a lead role where it's more of a "voice".

Reminds me of Pino's octaver thing. Quite cool, but easy to over-do. I often liken music to cooking. I love garlic, but to use it in every dish would get old too; a little goes a long way sometimes.