1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For the pedal builders!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chronicle, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Alright so here's my schematic of what i'm gonna build. I have the GGG BMP kit coming and i'm gonna make it into a Tonebender clone.

I've been getting coaching from BassJunkie730 but i just want to make sure i'm ready.

He gave me a list of resistors and all that. He said to take out the resistors that aren't listed on his list. Now besides soldering everything to the right place, i have to wire something up right? How would i do that and where? I'm quite a noob at this :ninja:

Also, he gave me a R25 instead of a R26 for a volume pot or maybe he was talking about the resistor? Hmm..

ggg_bmp_wiring.

Here's the link to the original specs to the BMP: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_bmp_wiring.pdf

2. Anything that's not on the circuit board will have to be wired up. So all those lines going to pots and connectors represent pieces of wire.

You'll need to match the actual resistor values (eg. 100 ohms [read off resistor colour code]) with their designators (eg. R25)

3. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    So like get a wire and instead of the resistor, put a wire?

And the resistor values, can you give me an example on that schematic?

4. No no no no... I mean like the wires that are going to the pots and jack sockets and all - that's what you need to wire. Otherwise, it sounds like you just put the stuff on the circuit board that's on the list from GGG and ignore the empty spots.

What you've posted above is not a schematic, and contains no resistor values, only their designators. Find the matching designator of a resistor on the actual schematic and it should show the value. Or, the value will be listed next to the designator on the list from GGG.

5. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    BassJunkie730 sent me this

R1-33K
    R2-100K
    R3-470K
    R4-100
    R5-15K
    R6-100K VL
    R7-1K
    R8-8K2
    R9-100K
    R10-470K
    R11-15K
    R12-100
    R13-8K2
    R14-100K
    R15-470K
    R16-100
    R17-15K
    R18-33K
    R19-15K
    R20-100K VL
    R25-100K VA

C1-0.1
    C2-470PF
    C3-0.1
    C4-0.1
    C5-500PF
    C7-0.1
    C8-560PF
    C9-0.1
    C10-0.005
    C11-0.01
    C12-0.1

Q1,2,3 – BC184C
    D3,4 – 1N4148

Is that what you meant?

I'm also still confused by what you mean to wire the pots and jacks etc. Do i have to put the wires in another place?

6. Man, I don't know if I've helped you or made you more confused now!

You said "i have to wire something up right?" and I assumed you were talking about the stuff that has to be wired up that's not directly soldered to the circuit board. That means the input and output jack sockets, the battery, the footswitch, the pots and the DC jack socket - all the stuff at the top of the picture above. You have to run wires between those parts and the circuit board.

That list tells you which value resistor to put where on the circuit board. Cross reference it with the picture above and you're set. For example, first on the list is R1-33k. Take a 33k resistor and put it in the spot marked "R1" (top row, 2nd from left).

Ah ha.. see how the resistor next to it has it's designator blanked out? I guess that means that's one of the one's that you leave off the board. Also, I can now see what you mean about R25 vs. R26. As long as it's still a 100k pot you'll be fine. Take note that there is a difference between "R20-100K VL" and "R25-100K VA" and you'll want to make sure you get the right one in the right spot.

7. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Ohhhh so on the board, it'll say R1? Or on the board, i just have to find the spot like in the picture?

And yes, the blanked out spots are parts i leave off the board, but that's it right? Just leave the thing off the board?

8. It might say on the board, but probably not, but yes, just match it up with the picture. Yep, just leave them off, unless it instructs otherwise.

9. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Wow, this is easy :] But i'm sure it gets harder haha

10. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    Dont forget to put the components in from the 'blank' side of the PCB, so the 'legs' of the components go through the holes and finish on the side with the tracks on.

You'd be surprised how often this happens from PCB virgins. :)

Also, the diagram above is shown from the track side, so when you look at it from above from the blank side, the top and bottom sides reverse!

11. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Thanks for the advice! I was wondering which side it'd go on XD

12. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    On C14, make sure you take note of the polarity. The capacitor will usually be marked by a "+" or a black line on the positive side, that side should go "up" according to the picture.

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Ah i see, thanks! :D

14. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Alright, i'm missing a 15K Resistor, 500PF Cap, 560 Cap, .005UF Cap, BC184C Transistors, and 1N4184 Diodes. Where do i get them? Mojosupplies didn't have any, and Radioshack doesn't as well.

15. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Hmm, no match for the 560 PF cap. .005 uf cap, bc184C transistor, and the diode 1n4148 ><

16. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    Diode
    Well, there's one. You might try radioshack for the others

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  18. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    here's a pic of the guts, waiting on some parts to come in to finish her up :]

DSCN1499.

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    lookin' good! I might fire up my iron tonight