For the pickers: I play....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by C//LiMBa, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Dunlop Tortex Standard .50 (pink/red)

1 vote(s)
  2. Dunlop Tortex Standard .60 (orange)

4 vote(s)
  3. Dunlop Tortex Standard .73 (jellow)

7 vote(s)
  4. Dunlop Tortex Standard .88 (green)

8 vote(s)
  5. Dunlop Tortex Standard 1.0 (blue)

6 vote(s)
  6. Dunlop Tortex Standard 1.14 (purple)

11 vote(s)
  1. I play both fingers and pick, but i wondered, witch pick do you guys use? i play both comfortable with 1mm as with .50mm. This poll goes about the Dunlop Tortex Series. The songs that i play vary from quick metal to almost jazzy things
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Do you feel you're a bit obsessive about "Dunlop" - have you ever tried therapy? :D
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have Dunlops on my bicicle. ;)

I use Sharkfins (the thin red ones) when I do my occasional pick playing.
  4. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    When I do use a pick , music style will dictate what I use but I prefer using a felt pick
  5. whaddayamean???
  6. I prefer not to use Dunlop tortex pick's when possible. I dont feel comfortable with them.

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    A bit of plastic is a bit of plastic isnt it? ;) :)

I use the greenies.
  8. A bit of plastic is a bit of plastic but i find i get a cleaner sound when i use some other brand picks like d'addario picks.

It might all be in the head but thats what I'm comfortable with.

9. hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    When I do use a pick, it's the purples. If I'm gonna use a pick, its gonna be for some really fast thrash metal and I need the stiffest picks i can get. I got in the habit years ago 'cause I was breaking picks all the time. My style has matured but I just got comfortable with them. Anything less than the greenies is too flimsy and has no punch.
  10. Interestingly enough, I have the same Dunlop obsession!

Currently, my pick arsenal consists of a .50, .60, .73, and a 1.14. (of course I have many fresh backups...) All Dunlop Tortex, of course! I originally was using those horrific Fenders, mostly heavy and extra heavy, with the occasional jaunt down to medium, however, once I heard that Better Than Ezra's bass player, Tom Drummond, used a Dunlop .73, and I LOVED his tone at that point - little did I know I'd never be able to get close to his Spector/Eden rig with my Peavey Fury and 15 watt practice amp... but I tried!

So, that started me on the Dunlops - back then I used to play far too hard - and the Fenders would break... while the Dunlops would survive - so I stuck with 'em.

As my playing has evolved over the past almost seven years, as my touch has become ever-so-slightly more delicate, I've stuck with the Dunlops! I've tried others, but these just feel and sound right for me.

Primarily, I use the .60, however, lately, I've been eqing my bass rather differently and find myself prefering the sound of a .73... so back to square one! Ah well.

Dunlop Tortex FOREVER!

11. I use a coin.

It's not a Dunlop, so I can't fill out your poll. ;)
  12. i use those really hard gel ones, that are yellow/greenish.
  13. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Really? Whats that like compared to plectrums. Oh, i cant tell sarcasm on the internet :D ;)
  14. No sarcasm. I actually use a coin to play bass.

Well, most of the time I use my fingers these days. But when I feel like pickin', I mostly use a roughed up ten cent peice.

You gotta be careful with the way you hit the thing, otherwise the strings will come straight off your bass. But the clank is worth it. The feel is also quite different, because there is absolutely no flexibility in the coin.
  15. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I use dunlop 3mm stubby's if I need to pick anything. They seem to be hard to find in my area but that's all I can use when I play my wee guitar.
  16. Dunlop Stubbys or D'andrea Jazz picks.
  17. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's pretty seldom that I use a pick, but when I do, I use 1.0 Dunlops. They're black, though.
  18. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    I havent voted cause i use black dunlop 2.0mm picks. bring id on!
  19. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Dunlop Green .88's or I lately I been using the Fender green .88 tortex. The only difference is the Fenders don't have that powder substance on them.