1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For the Rickenbacker players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Mar 3, 2003.

Chrome over the rear pickup

Poll closed Mar 2, 2004.
  1. Yay

    45 vote(s)
  2. Nay

    41 vote(s)
  1. LiquidMidnight


    Dec 25, 2000
    I wasn't sure if I should stick this poll in the basses section, or the setup section. I thought it would probaly get more response here in basses, but if you think it should be in setup, that's cool.

    Basic question is, do you leave the chrome over the rear pickup on or do you take it off? (BTW, is there a special name for that peice of chrome)

    Personally, I like the chrome piece. I'm more of a fingerstyle player though so I guess if you're more of pick player, it would probaly be easier to play without one.
  2. I took mine off. Got in my way.

    Some refer to this and other pup covers as an 'ashtray' .

    BTW - I think the Rics look better with the cover on.
  3. erik II

    erik II

    Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    And the 'Yay or Nay' applies to which part of the question...?

    I took mine off right away.
  4. Davehenning


    Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I think the cover/pickup is called a "horseshoe."

    I have a 78' Ric that did not have the cover when I purchased it.
  5. LiquidMidnight


    Dec 25, 2000
    I always thought an ashtray was the chrome piece that went over a bridge. Horseshoe though, that's pretty cool.

    The yay, nay part is basically, do you like the chrome or not. Now that you mention it, I probaly should have worded the poll a little bit different.

  6. Actually there's two types, the horseshoe, found on older Rick 4001's and vintage reissues, and the "normal" kind found on most others including the 4003.

    When I got my 4001 it came with the cover off (it's a normal one). I have yet to put it back on, but I've wanted to because playing finger style without it is quite difficult. Mine isn't chrome though, which leads me to believe that not all of the bridge p/up covers were made of chrome. I was going to ask a question about that on the Rick forums.
  7. erik II

    erik II

    Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Now that you mention it - mine wasn't chrome either, just "chromed" plastic. I have it around somewhere, just can't find it right now...

    LiquidMidnight - with some good will I would have interpreted the poll the way you intended. But sometimes I just have to - you know... :D
  8. tim4003


    Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I play with a pick, and my pick up cover is staying ON!
  9. Max

    Max Supporting Member

    Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Fake chrome pickup cover: beeyuteeful.
  10. LiquidMidnight


    Dec 25, 2000
    Well, at least I gave you a brain teaser for the day. :D
  11. I used to use the cover on my Kramer copy as a thumb rest.
  12. Funkster


    Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I always have takin them off, When I play fingerstyle I like to anchor my thumb on the bridge pup, When I play with a pic it just get's in the way.
    I agree though they looke great when the cover is left on.
  13. the chrome cover everyone is talking about here is a "throwback" from the early Ric's of the 60's and early 70's..back then the chrome cover was actually part of the pup's(it was a horseshoe magnet,as seen on the v63 r.i.)...later on when Ric redesigned the pup's, they used a "chromed" plastic cover to maintain the "look"...I like the look but,it does get in the way(for me anyway) which is why I removed mine from my 4001...although some pick players like to rest their hand on it(ala Chris Squire)...now, I just bought a brand new 4003(on saturday),and I tried to get used to it but,I just can't,so I will be taking it off as well.(I think I have 3 or 4 of these lying around now)..so I guess my answer is nay
  14. I took mine off as well. I play a finger style and like to use all of the space between the bridge and the neck. Sometimes I'll even venture up the neck too.
  15. Max

    Max Supporting Member

    Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    If you don't have the basses to go with those pickguards, sell them on Ebay. You could get another bass with the proceeds.;)
  16. just after I posted I went to look for them and I could only find one(I'm thinking I sold them with the basses they belonged to)...yes, I've seen the ebay prices on these little hunks of plastic...it's amazing...if I only knew then what I know now...besides, I just bought a brand new 4003. if I aquired another one(in..say, the new Montazuma Brown) I would have to institutionalized..it would be too much for me to handle..the permanate grin on my face :D would be there for life...maybe with next years tax return I'll get another Ric..I'm thinking the redesigned 4004 5 string or a 4004 eight string...okay,I off to fantasy land again....goodbye.
  17. Funkster


    Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

    I'll take one!!!:D
  18. IF I do happen to find the other pup covers I will list them for sale...right now I can only find the one for my 4001..the others were off a 4001fl and a 4008(they're all the same size)...I'll keep looking but, I'm pretty sure I sold them with the basses...it was soooo long ago...if I find them I'll post them in the gear for sale thread....
  19. rickbass

    rickbass Supporting Member

    Doesn't bother me....I use a pick with my 4001 and it gives me that "Lemmy" sound.

    Although, it can look cooler without it in the hands of the "right" bassist -

  20. Funkster


    Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Great action shot!:cool: Looks just like my 4001 minus the racing stripes,LOL