For the TRUE die hard Guns N' Roses fans.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by descendent22, May 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Question at the bottom:

Guns is my all time favorite band strait up. With that said Guns to me has almost been like a favorite sports team to me throughout the years. The band has been through quite a few different era's/lineups. For a while I wouldn't call the band Guns N Roses without slash and Duff but that changed. Axl believed in keeping the band going on no despite who was in the band or not. He kept the music alive and afloat. He's the frontman and voice of the band. He's the only person who coulda done it. The other original members over on and did their own things and were successful.

Sports team/franchises stay the same team/franchise no matter what athletes and coaches are making the lineup on the team. If you're a true die hard fan you're not gunna stop loving you're favorite team just because of personell changes. You wouldn't be a true fan if you did. You can not agree with decisions made and have opinions and disagree about the way things are but the love stays. When it comes to Guns the Illusions era lineup is my personal favorite. I love the original 5 lineup also. When slash, then matt Sorum and Duff the final 3 disbanded all by 1997/1998 it was a weird time. Personally I didn't like the bucket head era from 98-02. The band had all these different personalities in costumes and the show itself was awkward with bucket heads solo act. It was like a circus. Idk what Axl was thinking but I still respected him believing in the music and keeping the band going.

Long story short,when the Chinese album came out I loved it. It was more like an Axl Rose solo album but it still had a GNR sound. From 08-2014 the band became a true band again. It wasn't a circus act. The band had an 8 person lineup that had a chemistry and put on a great show. With the departure of Robin Finck DJ Ashba came in and really brought back a a GUns N Roses type feel. He was like a slash mixture in his own way. Smoking cigs on stage and just being a pure rock n roller. Tommy Stinson is one of my biggest influences and favorite musicians. The band was a cool band and a tru band. If the reunion never happened I would be content with that ban the 08-2014 lineup.

Besides the original AFD classic lineup what it your favorite era/lineup of GNr?

2. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I just reread the Axl bio W.A.R. and it made me long for the era when petulant, capricious and explosive rock stars still walked the earth. That's all I got, except that I like the band best with Duff, he puts the punk in the spunk.

DJ Dru, MJ5150, bobba66 and 2 others like this.
  3. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    100% agree. Don't hate on Tommy Stinson though. He was just as much punk.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  4. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Illusions era with Gilby on rhythm and Sorum drumming is my favorite also. Duffs tone in that era was killer! Tommy Stinson's GNR tone is awesome as well

5. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Izzy of course also brought the punk. It was all the cross pollination that made the band so potent.

izzy.png

6. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    W.A.R. reminded me that Axl was totally cool to Cobain, and supported his band and his aesthetic even as it cut into
    GnR's lead in the marketplace. Kurt is the one who trash-talked Axl, said his music was "empty," totally trolled and belittled him.

7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Is that why Courtney shot him in the greenhouse? Because he was trolling Axl?

Son of Wobble likes this.
  8. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    LOL. I once asked a stylist who had worked with Courtney and knew her pretty well if she thought Courtney could have killed Kurt.
    She thought but a second, then laughed and said, "She could certainly have driven him to it."

9. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Appetite era period. The true band. Raw, rough and no ********. After that they became just like all the rest

10. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    But Duff remains my #1 inspiration.

11. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    The real question is, which do ya guys think are the better bike shorts?

07fe29db7851212f92eb06ecfc88fa28.jpg axl-rose-04.jpg

12. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Axl started a fashion trend that still burns bright.

tumblr_m93a5ekczY1rnfvefo1_1280.jpg article-2560738-1B8A4D9000000578-439_634x741.jpg

13. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

23-Jul-65
    Slash is born Saul Hudson:

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021