Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those considering U-Retro or Aguilar OBP-3...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sheepdog, Oct 24, 2003.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Just talked to BestBassGear and they are willing to take a Marcus Miller pickguard and wire it with an OBP-3 (passive volume/volume stack, treble/bass stack, mid, passive tone plus an active/passive switch and a mid frequ switch) for under $200. Basically all that I would have to do is wire the pickup leads and grounds. I am more than sure that the U Retro is a great preamp, but for comparison sake this seems to be an even better deal.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this would be more appropriate in the setup forum, so i'll move it there. :)

3. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    thanks, wasn't sure where to put it

4. I would be remiss if I didn't point out that though the Aquilar has a fine array of adjustments, the U-Retro's variable midrange frequency control is an incredible feature that the Aggie doesn't have.

For really getting a fine tune to your tone this works great.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, Hammy. Check out page 5 of the wiring options (#8):

http://www.aguilaramp.com/html/support/downloads/diagrams/obp3wiring.pdf

You can wire the OBP-3 with a variable mid from 400-800hz.

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    checking on that variable mid option. Wouldn't think it would cost any more than wiring a separate 2 way switch.

What is the frequ range on the U Retro mid?

7. Wow, that's an extensive list of optional wiring. Very versatile. I stand corrected.

Now, my only question is whether Aggie is going to actually do the wiring for you or do you have to do it yourself. As bad as some of us solder, that could be a messy project for the inexperienced. I guess the price reflects this DIY type of assembly.

8. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I will have to find the pot from aguilar for mid/mid frequ if I want that done (as opposed to the switch). Might not be worth the trouble since it is only an octave range on the variable tone.

The cost is to have all 4 pots (2 stack, 2 single) plus 2 switches (extra hole will be drilled in pickguard) installed in the pickguard and wired. All I will have to do is hook up the pickup leads and ground wires. All other wiring and install is done for me.

9. I should be on the receiving end of a new OPB-3 pretty soon. My old man's in the US at the moment, so I asked him to see if he can pick one up. He's found one thats got the pots on for $125US(~$200AU), which is sick cause thats less than I'd pay for the OBP-1 ($259 plus shipping).

I don't actually know what the wiring setup on it is, just that he said its got the pots on. He's a sax player, doesn't really know lots about it, so I didn't press him.

Either way I'm stoked as, now just need the bridge, and I'll start construction, I'll have a thread in the Luthiers section when the time comes.

Josh D

10. You can post it up here if you like when it comes to construction. Hambone knows a great deal. ;)

:D:D

Merls

11. It has arrived. My old man got in this morning, OBP-3 TK. Whats the TK mean? $135US, so I'm paying dad $170Aus, seems I got me a sweet as deal. Unfortuneatly it seems I'm less funded than I thought I was, be a few weeks before I order the bridge in...

I'm still amazed at just how small it is, its so darn tiny. Pics soon, dad also scored a digital camera while there.

Josh D