For those interested in Ampeg Scroll bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Nov 14, 2002.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000

i found this specialized builder. great site with tons of picks about constuction.

this man rules!!

have you ever seen or tried one of these handmade beauties?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

A bass built by hand for only $1700 - $1900 thats great i think the gecko just got bumped. But i dont think these are for every one but it is worth a try
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
  5. rickbass

Pretty gutsy move on that maker's part, barroso.

But, you know, historically, the people who come up first with the new ideas/designs in any technolody usually get burned and forgotten and it's the third or fourth person to adapt it who realizes success.

Thanks for the link!
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    sorry but i am not that sure to have understood. my english is poor, can you please explain the concept in other way?

7. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've been aware of Bruce Johnston's site for a few years now. Up until about 1 1/2 years ago, he was licensed to build these with the Ampeg name on them, and only after Ampeg presumably was going to offer them again did he stop. He's still probably the biggest authority on the original instruments, including the short scale that never quite made it to production. You'll see him quoted as a reference to pieces on Ebay frequently.
    And, as we have stated so many times in debating vintage Fenders vs. Sadowsky, etc., I'd be just as likely to get one of Bruce's basses before chancing the same cost on an original that might not be as high quality at this point in time.
  8. rickbass

Barroso - Your English is excellent as far as I'm concerned!!! I am constantly amazed by how smart our friends are in countries where English is not the native language. I took 7 years of French classes and speak enough Spanish to get by, so I know how crazy "American-English" is. It's like - there are no rules!

What I was trying to say was that throughout history, the people who are the first to develop a technology or design usually don't get rich from their inventions. Someone later on takes the origianl idea and succeeds with it. For instance, Leo Fender didn't "invent" the electric bass. He just made the first commercially successful electric bass.
    Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile. He just made the first one that really succeeded commercially.

I hope that is clearer. If not, just tell me. I apoligize for using more easily understandable English. You guys just seem to have such a wonderful command of the English language, I take sometimes assume you know almost every idiomatic expression and slang word!

The beauty is - music is the language we all speak and understand!!!