Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those of us in good ol' Texas....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Orco87, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    I live up in the Dallas region and sad to say, I don't really know of any Bass stores around here. The only 2 real music stores I go to are Guitar Center and Mars...well...make that just Guitar Center. I would like to make a road trip down to houston and visit my Uncle, so if anyone knows of some bass stores down there, or near by there, I'd be grateful to go there. It's always good to have a purpose for a road trip! :D
    So if you could just let me know, I'd be happy!
    thanks!

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    southpaw.net - i'm sure they have alot of right handed basses as well.

try music emporium as well

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm... Southpaw - I bought my first 'good' bass there over 20 years ago. A (righty) Ric 4001. I imagine the place has grown a lot since those days.

I'm about 100 miles East of Houston and I can't offer much advice, but pending any better suggestions that may be posted after mine, I'd say check out Rockin' Robin on Shepard (sp?), right off hwy. 59. It's a guitar shop with a pretty decent bass department. I recently poked my head in as I was searching for used SWR gear, I do recall seeing some Aguilar cabs and other goodies, if memory serves...

I'd sure like to learn of any bass-only shops, or ones with a good bass department, and I'll be watching this thread for suggestions, too. :)

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, I've seen MTD as well as a lot of vintage stuff at Rockin' Robin. It's kind of a fun store with a good-times vintage vibe.

The only bass only store that I personally know of in Texas is the new Bass Emporium in Austin. That's definitely worth a visit. They have Roscoe, Lakland, Zon, EBS, Epifani, Aguilar, Demeter, Bergantino etc... and the owner's a nice guy too which is always a plus.

brad cook

5. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    This won't answer your question about Houston but there are 2 pretty decent bass stores here in DFW. Speir Music and Larry Morgan Music are both in Garland (they are even on the same street) and they carry lots of stuff. Larry Morgan carries pretty much all the cool high-end amp stuff like Epifani,Aguilar,Bergantino etc...

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Get somebody else to hold your credit cards and checkbook tho [​IMG]:p

Watch out for "Mr. Know-it-all" at Larry Morgan's :rolleyes:. Best to deal
    with Mr. M himself (friendly, old dude).

Don't be wearin' no rodeo-type belt buckle into Speir's "fancy bass
    room" :eek: (zippered jacket or button-down shirt for that matter).
    You'll be politely asked to leave by "the Big Man" Dwaine ;).

7. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    Wow, looks like I got my work cut out for me! Thanks for all the info! It may be a couple of weekend road trips to visit all these places, because just taking one and not spending a good amount of time in each place is just not worth it!
    Thanks for all the info!

8. T.B. Player

T.B. Player

Aug 10, 2002
    Orange, Texas
    Sorry to break it to you man but other than a few small stores with a very limited supply of anything, all Houston has is Mars (for now at least) and Guitar Center. I've basically combed through Houston and for such a big city it really doesn't have a lot of good music stores.

9. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I go to spier, but every time I leave I'm pissed. Dwayne has run that place in to the ground... stock was better when Steve ran the place (he's now head sales guy for Breedlove Guitars)

I have to ASK for help in Spier... not general help, but things like waiting by the counter to look at a Pickup, having the 18 year old korntera goof ball that works there look at me, turn around and walk off... forget that!

Morgan's is THE place. And I don't know what you mean by Mr know it all... Larry's a great guy, but I'd rathar talk to Marcus, Phil, or Chance over any looser at Guitarcenter or Mars ANY Day. The guys KNOW instruments, and yes there's a bit of an air of elitism, but that's what makes going there great...

as for the Gear they carry... Alembic, Fodera, Modulus, Turner, they will be adding Elrick and Kinal soon.

10. Funkyebk,
    You took the words right out my mouth. I used to like Speir, until I "discovered" LM. THere is no comparison, but I do like Speir's "fancy" room.

Mark

11. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    about the *fancy* room... I can't bring my self to be impressed when the same WAY overpriced gear has been on the wall for more than a year now...

sad...

case in point...

I bought a bagend 210dx from Steve when he was still there... the tag was at $650, I got it for $450... the last time I was in Spier the same cab was tagged at $900. When asked about the a discount... you guessed it $650.

fun to look at, but I wouldn't be there for more than 15 minutes.

12. You're right. It's fun the first time you are there, but after that, there's no reason to go back.
    I mentioned one time to Dwayne the kind of strings I like and he said, " don't get many people asking for those." But at LM, if you like a string that they don't have they will order a case of them so you always have a reason to go back.

13. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    Hmm....I guess I'll make a visit to Larry Morgan's then. Rock on!

thanks folks!

14. I know this is an off topic reply in an off topic post, but every dallas Bass player should know about the Norm Stockton bass clinic next month. the information can be found at this link.
    Norm's website

For those who who don't know of Norm, he is incredible bass player who's focus is helping bass players who play in churches. Do yourself the favor and leave Staurday morning, December 14th open. It's a free clinic, all you have to do is let the contact know you are coming.

15. i personally don't know any stores in that area...but i just gotta pop in and say "Texas represent, dawg!"