1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For those of us the were teens of the 90's. I have found my old DOD Bass Grunge pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TUEP, Jun 16, 2014.

1. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    :bassist: I don't know how many of you remember these things. They were marketed towards the teenage garage band back then. The settings were funny (More) balance, (Zip) tone, (Stupid) distortion, and (Juice) Volume. I threw a knew battery into it and gave it a whirl. Spector Performer bass, DOD Bass Grunge FX92 straight in the computer. Kind of dark and a bit muddy but I decided to record some samples of a famous early 90's grunge tune (see if you can guess it). Not the whole song just the verse and chorus to see what the little DOD pedal can do..kind of cool actually. I am thinking of experimenting some more with this pedal on a amp this week end.

2. T2k5

T2k5

Feb 16, 2011
    Kerava, Finland
    I have one, but I very rarely use it since it absolutely destroys the signal when bypassed and sounds crappy for anything that shouldn't be pure noise. It's a funny pedal since the crappy noise it makes actually sounds better the more it breaks, and mine is quite broken. :D

Also works nicely as an infinite-loop noise box when you connect the wet out to input.

3. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I have two. They both sound totally different to each other. One has a clear and crisp top end, where the other is more muddy.
    I can see no reason why this should be the case.
    I still enjoy the character of the drive from time to time though

4. T2k5

T2k5

Feb 16, 2011
    Kerava, Finland
    They might just be going through the many levels of broken at different speeds; mine has been noticeably changing through the years, even when I only use it a couple of times a year. :D

5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    DOD rocks! I love my old DOD pedals. I dont have the grunge one though. I have an old DFX9 digital delay that I use all the time though. DOD love right here. Sorry for the thread derail. Thought I would chime in on DOD goodness. I love finding old pedals in drawers years later.

sillyfabe likes this.
  6. DreamError

DreamError

May 30, 2014
    TX
    I want to say that when Digitech bought them, some changes happened. I had some friends with DOD FX-86 Death Metal pedals that sounded different from one another, too.

7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Outshined!:bassist: Those guys in Soundgarden were straight up riff machines.

gregmon79 likes this.
  8. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Commercial User

Jul 19, 2012
    Just FYI, DigiTech didn't buy DOD. DOD started out first in the 70's and then as they got more into digital technology DigiTech was born. Since DigiTech was a stronger brand back then, the decision was made to move DOD pedals under the DigiTech brand name (for better or worse).

gregmon79 and DreamError like this.
  9. DreamError

DreamError

May 30, 2014
    TX
    Why thank you. I did know DOD was first/older, but did not know Digitech was a spin off (obviously lol...) The re-releasing of some DOD stuff recently has only furthered my confusion :rollno:

10. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Commercial User

Jul 19, 2012
    No problem! It definitely gets confusing especially when you add in Harman's acquisition of DOD/DigiTech in the early 90's. I'm trying to draw the lines more clearly between what is a DOD pedal and what is a DigiTech pedal. Place your bets on how successful I'll be! :)

11. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    interesting, i had the american metal pedal, it wasn't too bass friendly though

12. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    You got that right! They have some of the most fun songs to play. Spoonman is another fun one also.

13. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    I have got one of their old graphic Bass EQ pedals. It needs some work as one of the sliders was stuck, but it is a neat pedal when you need different tones for certain songs.