Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those of you (everybody) That should buy an MTD... Clip!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Oct 5, 2004.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    This is MTD's (Michael Tobias') lowest line.. The Kingston, with EQ flat, and plugged straight into my crappy sound card (again, with zero EQ).. And with the new T.I. strings I just installed. I have the single humbucker knob on halfway (which means halfway bass and halfway total mid-range lol) and the volume on maybe 1/3 of full..

Just a clip of me playing the verse from Paul Simon's "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes"

http://www.geocities.com/aj_g_2000/Diamonds.mp3

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    What was so good about that tone?

3. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    You must really be pissed off I got the Traben before you did.. HAHA

4. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    And don't go bashing the Traben , cuz it didn't do anything to you. IT sounds like an ATK but looks a lot better. But its weight is almost more than my girlfriend.

But still, the Kingston's sound awsome for Fretless. Especially since I bought this one lightly used for the low low price of $376.99 (thank you ebay)

5. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    :confused: You're right, I'll leave the Traben alone. I long ago forgave it for that 2 hour blind spell. Your Kingston sounds terrific!! :ninja:

6. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Thank you

7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Hey man-nice clip. Sounds great-especially since it is just the bass through nothing! Nice mwah and growl. You're right, the tone on full kills the sound of these basses. Halfway or lower and they sound sweet! Too bad they are ugly! :eyebrow:

Lync

8. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I love the way they look. I like the pickguard. (mine has no pickguard right now), I am waiting for Mr. Tobias to return the correct sized Black Pearloid that will make it look more like a Stefan Lessard type Flea Bass. Its just black right now (looks Ibanez-ish) .. But wait till I get that new pickguard.

AND LOVE how it sounds.

9. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Cool man. I can't say that I really dig the guard (white pearloid, but the neck just kills).

Check out the new Kingston 5'ers with no guard and transparent finish...

Check out the blue one!

Lync

10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    i couldn't hear it. evidently you've had too many visits to your site.

11. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Should be workin now...

And for anyone that may have played one...How do the MTD Active Kingstons sound with maple fingerboard??

I may start a new thread on it. But I may stick down the MTD line on my next bass and get a 4 or 5 Fretted Active Kingston.

12. The bass sounds great and you have solid chops to play that very well!