Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those of you SoundBlaster owners

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Mar 3, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

After reading a post about soundcards, I thought it would be better to post this message as a separate thread. I have a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum and it works great for me, but it's true that the Creative drivers are not the best. Maybe some of you already know about this: There's an independent team that has released an alternate set of drivers for SoundBlaster sound cards, totally free of charge. I gave this a try and must say that, aside from giving even more control over my sound card, I feel that its performance has improved. This works for "all EMU10K1 and EMU10K2-based soundcards manufactured by Creative Technology Ltd. and/or E-mu Systems Inc., including the SoundBlaster Live! series, the E-mu Audio Production Studio (APS) card, and the Audigy / Audigy2 series of cards". You must completely uninstall the Creative drivers before trying these. No spyware or adware. Here's the link with the drivers plus full info:

http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1

Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention, in case you decide to try it: You must load a General MIDI soundfont for MIDI sounds to be heard.

2. Yeah, about a year ago I installed the KX drivers. They're easy to install, and easy to uninstall. They were great, but they didn't support 2.1 soundfonts, only 2.0, so I promptly uninstalled the drivers. :)

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Here's some info taken from KX's help file (the latest version):

"The kX driver supports the loading of SoundFont 2.0 and 2.1 files only (as well as sfArk v2.0 or higher); the SoundFont 1.0 format (.SBK) is not supported. Note that there is currently no support for SF2.1 Modulator properties."

Hope this helps.

4. ...which happens to be the most important ability of 2.1 soundfonts. :)

Oh well, now I just use softsynths (think HALion, Livesynth DXi, etc.) to play my soundfonts, so no problems there.

5. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Good to see they are still making them better. A few years back I tried them out and they weren't mature enough for my use.

Perhaps another try is in order. :p

6. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Indeed. Consistent 2ms latency is a great thing to have. KX drivers are actually one of the reasons I haven't upgraded my soundcard. I always hear people talk about how 10ms or 5ms is "great" for a lot of high end cards.

7. The other thing that's funny is that the relatively newer Soundblaster cards (I have the Audigy in mind) advertise Asio support. Well, they don't. One of the cool things about the KX drivers is that they provide Asio. :)

As for latency, I seem to get great latency through Sonar 4, so no problems there. (unless I have like 50 soft synths going through many effects, where I have to increase the latency)