1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Those of You that EQ Your Amps Flat... WHY?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darkfish01, May 4, 2006.

1. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Hello all. I'm not sure where to put this so I guess Amps will have to do for now. This question goes out to everyone that runs their amps flat - I was wondering why you prefer it flat over something else. I personally am starting to like the flat EQ feel, but I'm not even sure why! :help:

2. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I feel that you should EQ to taste as long as that taste does not for instance rumble everyone off of the stage, etc. In my own personal opinion and based on my experience, EQ is NOT tone. I don't use very much EQ at all for my sound. I use the SansAmp RBI preamp with the bass straight up, mid and high down about 3 marks from straight up. Presense all the way down, blend all the way up, drive straight up, works for me. I use a passive Carvin bass with both pickups on all the time....

3. dunno, the gk1001 has been everything I wanted from day 1. Due to room dynamics or if i'm looking for a specific sound I will EQ a bit but 90% I'm flat. I guess I should say it depends on the band too which basically is another way of the sound i'm going for. But it just sounds right to me flat and never had any issues with it.

4. I use touches of EQ. If you don't like the flat sound of your amp, then you're going to have a hard time getting a sound you like.

5. I set it there to start....and I liked the way it sounded. I dump or juice a little here and there depending on the mood, but it mostly stays centered.

Mike

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Lazer (Lazer is the new term for +1).

7. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    I guess it's because i picked a bass (and strings) for how they sounded on their own ... accoustically, or recorded direct. So it was natural to get an amp that was at least capable of reproducing that sound.

Since I'm lazy, and don't like twiddling knobs, I chose a simple preamp--and one that sounds like it isn't doing any eqing when the eq is set flat. It just seemed simple and logical to me.

When I do want to use the tone controls, it's extra simple, because my starting point is 12:00 on every knob.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    IMO, it just sounds better.

9. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    :D

+1

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Because my rig and basses sound great that way. The icing on the cake is that setup takes no time live. Plug and play.

Most bassists I know don't really know how to use EQ. Just an observation. This can cause all sorts of problems, time consuming and frustrating ones.

I do know how to use EQ and in the past have. Since around 1990 when I bought a used Amplified Music Product amp, my days of twiddling with EQ to try and get my rig to match up better with whatever bass I played were over.

I found what worked better for me was turning up the gains and letting the full range of the instrument shine through vs. setting EQ at one volume and having that setting not work as well at higher volume. Tone can change drastically at different volumes and people tend to compensate for a lack of lows or highs by making tweaks that don't work as well when it rises.

So what I do is, keep the gains up on the amp, keep the volume wide open on my bass and control my volume mainly with my hands. It took a while to really nail this down but once I did the consistency in tone was amazing. I may do minor tweaks at the bass itself, most times I don't even have to do that.

The other key factor is to use good instruments that allow me to sound the way I want to sound. Check.

Long answer, hth.

Do all basses sound great with my rig set flat? No. And the few that didn't I know longer own;)

KISS

11. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    The bass and treble on your sansamp are EQ.

As for myself, I would say that I can find different tones through changing my EQ that suit my different needs and styles.

12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'm too stupid to turn all those knobs....

13. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    #1. It's easier. Less to think about.

#2. The main tone adjustments are those that I do with my hands and my strings. If I don't like my tone, I try different playing styles and hand positions along with trying out different brands/makes of strings.

That said, I usually do subtle adjustments here and there. When playing at Church, I usually set my B100R flat with maybe a bump in the low mids and bass. That gets me the smooth, thick tone I'm looking for when playing Church music.

14. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I don't actually have any "real" eq on my amp, so I guess that's why.

15. I'll do what ever Thorpie does Because it's "fully sick".

16. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i like the sound of the tube amp, and my jbass.... so everything on the bass is up, and everything on the amp is flat.

17. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    One of the big advantages of EQing flat, is that when you need the EQ to correct for problems, it is there.

I also think that newer amp/cab designs can reproduce a "flat" sound better. For example, a Fender Bassman kills the lows since the cabs of that era could not handle lows very well and it took too much power. So if you hook a Bassman up to a more modern cab, you have to boost the lows to get them back.

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    For practice in a very neutral bassment, I use an ARTS Tube MP into a power amp. No EQ at all!

19. I play a Schecter Custom 4, duel EMG-z pups, Stainless DR lo- Riders. I run the amp w/ 5 band EQ, effectless and straight up. The bass is so versatile, I can get any sound I want out of it.

20. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I tend to micro manage my sound. It took me a while to actually find the sound I wanted, but now I have it. When I hook up to an amp, I set everything flat and then go from there. I tend to cut the frequencies I don't want more than I boost the frequencies I do want.

What makes it easier for me is the fact that I run through a multiprocessor which gives me a great sounding direct signal, which I also use for recording. So, my EQ settings are mild adjustments for the room.