Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those of you who are computer savy...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jiant., Jan 18, 2006.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I'm looking to take off everything that's important on my computer, put it on some cds, then clean everything else off. My computer has a lot of useless crap on it, and I'm tired of it. My question is, what do I need to do? I know how to burn cds, that's not a problem, but how do I go about reformatting my hard drive(I think that's what it's called) like that? Thanks in advance. -Brad

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

IMO, reformatting a hard drive is only needed in case your operating system isn't working fine. Just uninstall any programs you don't use anymore, delete (or burn onto CDs) files that you don't want to keep and use some registry and temporary files cleaners (I assume you're working with Windows).

3. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    It keeps freezing a lot and I have a couple nasty viruses. I'd rather just start anew.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

What operating system do you use?

5. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Windows XP Pro

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

You need a Windows XP installation CD. Read the directions from this site and post back if you need further assistance.

7. For a start, you'll want to zero fill it. It should be on a disk that came with the computer.

8. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    burn to cd all your necessary drivers that you dont have already. It would be a good time to go to all the manufacturers websites and download updates if you can. Cameras, printers, phone, sound, gfx cards, modems, patches for any games you play, updates and addons for the programs you use, everything you can think of.

Now would also be a good time to bust out your ISP information. Log in, mail servers, ip adresses settings etc etc.

Dont forget to grab a copy of your log in info for all the websites you must sign in to. If your browser is set to to "log into this site automatically" chances are you might have forgotten that password.

Thats all i can think of so far

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm computer sexy