1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For those of you who do not have endorsements

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Apr 26, 2010.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    For those of you who do not have endorsements, How do you feel knowing that there is a very strong possibility that you have helped increase the brands sales and brought more attention to the brand, after posting youtube clips showing you demoing a particular product?

Isn't that what endorsing artist are there to do while getting compensated(helping with sales and bringing attention to the brand)?

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Hopefully it's about the music, not the tool.

3. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I feel good cause I am helping out a brand that I think deserves more, and more people should try their product, but on the other hand, if it makes a huge different, the company should work something out with the video poster.

4. I think it's good so I can see how they sound I guess.

5. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I have seen many clips of Jauqo playing many different basses but my attention was on what he played, not what he played.

6. archer121

archer121

Apr 12, 2009
    If it's a product I have strong opinions about (either positive or negative) then it feels good letting my opinion of the product be heard. If I like something, I have no problem giving it my personal endorsement for others to consider. However, just because I like something and give my personal public endorsement to the product doesn't mean the maker/distributor of the product is obligated to directly compensate me unless I've entered into an endorsement contract with the maker/distributor of the product.

7. If I help anyone in anyway achieve what they are going for musically then my life is super happy;)

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Thats not a bad question. I am not an endorsed artist, I also dont have videos of myself on Youtube (or anywhere else for that matter) that I am aware of. If there was video of me playing my SX I wouldnt mind. I like the brand and dont have a problem letting people know what equipment I use. It would be no different if I used my Fender.

There are lots of thread on TB where people give their support for a particular brand, even thoug they are not compensated. Seems pretty much the same deal to me.

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Often people who like a product enjoy providing unsolicited word-of-mouth testimony - "hey I've got this and it's great!". It's a huge boost for a company, and can be enjoyable for the individual.

I could also see someone producing a compelling demo of a product as a way to get that manufacturer's attention, and potentially gain an endorsement.

10. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    If the brand is making a good product then why not help them out? A lot of threads on Talkbass are about saying positive/negative things products that are good/bad. I don't endorse anything but I do sing praise about gear that I believe is good. I don't really understand the last question though. Are you asking us if we are mad that we aren't getting compensated?

11. Rimshot

Rimshot Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Chicago
    I think having more information to make an informed decision is good. If all products 'fans' posted demos (I never have...technotard) wouldn't it all be a wash anyway?

12. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I used to work with a keyboardist who would routinely put black tape over the brand names of the keys he used. This was when he was using a 2 or 3-tiered stand, and of course the brand name is designed to be clearly visible from the audience perspective.

His thinking was that unless Korg or Roland were willing to give him an endorsement deal, why should he freely advertise their product?

At first glance it might seem silly/petty and perhaps it is. But, if all that matters is the music, then it doesn't make any difference anyway.

If on the other hand, there is some sort of benefit to be gained by the company by having their name brand seen (and there should be some, otherwise a lot of endorsement deals wouldn't exist), then he may have a point.

Not saying I agree or disagree; I only endorse products I would use anyway...but it is interesting to contemplate.

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

No.

But those who are unofficially endorsing a product is in actuality endorsering the product.

14. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Subbie. This is an interesting question

15. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    That makes no business sense at all. Otherwise everyone would put up a YouTube of themselves with a product and then turn around and demand payment (as if they have a right to it). :rollno:

Someone is endorsed because the endorsing company believes the endorsee will give a value perception to a wide audience that accepts their credibility and (hopefully in the company's eyes) therefore boost sales by at least "wannabe-manship" at some level, and perhaps a more sophisticated reason for other purchasers.
    Any Tom, Dick or Harry will not have a value perception to an audience in a meaningful way, which is exactly why the endorsing system is as it is. Perception is everything.
    The sales game.

16. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

However, whenever there's a thread here asking how to get endorsed, the blanket answer is "use the product (endorse) and offer something marketable to the company and you may get endorsed".

So... seems kind of catch 22.

17. archer121

archer121

Apr 12, 2009
    Sure. It's a personal endorsement but not an official one.

18. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Fine by me. I support brands that make good products.

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Not official but I'm sure you would agree that the company does benefit.

20. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Nothing wrong with that. If I prefer Ford trucks and say so, and then someone buys one because he took my opinion to heart---well, that's just fine. Hurray for Ford (or whatever). Its called "word of mouth" and no one is due "compensation" for that.