1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For those of you who play in leather jackets. . .

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Zoa, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    I've got a sub gig coming up, and there is a dress code (the whole biker/rocker/metaller look). Kinda ridiculous really, but it pays well, so I can't complain.

Anyway, any tips? Is it as uncomfortable/broiling hot as it sounds?

How do you avoid scratching your bass on all the zippers/buckles? The only jacket I have at the moment is my Perfecto.

I'm probably putting too much thought into this, but it seems like it's going to be really irritating.

*Note to mods-not sure which forum this should be in, feel free to move

2. yeah, i'd never play in a leather jacket, i'd die. I wouldn't zip it up, that's for sure. Idk how you can protect your bass, maybe some sort of removable contact paper or something on the back side of it? you could peel it off after the gig

3. slaps76

slaps76

Jul 10, 2008
    Medford, MA
    Maybe find a cheap fake leather jacket that's light...Old Navy or something?

4. It depends on the jacket, stage lightning and so on. Might be uncomfortable, might not. Biggest problem is with a jacket with long sleeves...

This is a case where a beater-up SX/Squire/<insert other brand> bass is a good thing to have.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Wear a leather vest--not even "real" metalheads/rockers wear full leather jackets while playing.

Use poster "tacks" (adhesive putty dots) that are designed to not stain walls, to attach some canvas to the back of your bass to prevent damage.

6. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    I have no delusions about me being all hardcore, but these guys on the other hand. . .the guitarist at least plays in one, I've seen pictures.

I'll talk to them and see if I can bend it. Or find a vest. Sheesh, what is it with metal and leather. . .

Good suggestion bongomania. I'll give that a shot.

7. MetalDisciple12

MetalDisciple12

Aug 29, 2011
    It's the James Dean/biker/rebel archetype.

I legitimately find it comfortable, but c'est la vie

8. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    I mean, I like that jacket a lot, just playing in it seems problematic. Any you've learned from experience playing in one?

9. MetalDisciple12

MetalDisciple12

Aug 29, 2011
    I'd say go for the vest as suggested earlier. Only people I've known to play in one are punk/hardcore guys who (a) play sloppy and by implication don't care if something might interfere with playing accurately, (b) don't give two **** about their gear, or (c) both.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You need one of those guitar prophylactics, or whatever they're called. I like the vest idea, myself.

11. +100 on the vest,

12. ass-less leather chaps -- play backwards ;)

13. bassthumpersf

bassthumpersf

May 30, 2010
    Put you bass on then the jacket & then shed the jacket after the first song. (Provided you're slingin' low enough to clear the jacket.

14. [​IMG]

15. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    [edit: ^^^ whoa, jlane72t beat me to it!]

210px-Johnny_Ramone.

16. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Get some black duct tape and put it over the zippers and snaps to cover any area your bass will come in contact with, you want to cut off the belt if it has one too or use a beater bass.
    Wear a wife beater under it and it isn't bad.

Look on CL & thrift stores. You can find nice ones fairly cheap.

17. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    I'd just wear jeans, combat boots, a tight harley/biker t-shirt, wallet chain, and the jacket--then lose the jacket when I went on stage.

18. MetalDisciple12

MetalDisciple12

Aug 29, 2011
    Like I said, punk mother****ers lol

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Never, ever, ever use duct tape! Gaffer's tape won't leave that sticky scum all over.

20. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    +1! Gaffer's tape is made to be pulled up, without doing too much damage to the surface. Duct tape ain't 'posed to come off, evah.

Something else you could consider, for protecting the back of your bass: StewMac makes a self-adhesive plastic film. I was asking a phone support gal once about it once, as a way of slowing down the rub spot I get from playing slap on a bass without a pickguard.