For those of you who use Kazaa...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lo-end, Feb 14, 2003.

1. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    If you have kazaa installed on your computer, you may or may not be aware that you also have an advertising system known as Cydoor on there also. If you were always wondering why kazaa has so many freaking pop ups, well now you know.

I'm sure many of you have already heard of Lavasoft AdAware, but if you use this program to remove cydoor, kazaa won't be able to run. As an adware application, kazaa searches for a .dll file called cd_clint before starting up. If you remove this file, the program will never start and likely give you some sort of error message.

Download this dummy cd_clint.dll and put it in your C:\Windows directory. (I'm only assuming this is where your system's file is located. The only way to be sure is to use the 'find' feature in your start menu and search for the file.) Yes, you want to replace the existing file. It is an adware module, this is not.

Once this has been accomplished, you may download Lavasoft AdAware version 6.0 here, update the referencefile, and let 'er rip. Delete all the Cydoor software from your system.

You have just successfully "neutered" Kazaa!
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Or, forget Kazaa and get KazaaLight which has no adware built in.
  3. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Yes it does have adware. And I believe you have to pay for kazaa lite as well.
  4. IME, no and no.

The only adverts on it are the ones on the "Kazaa" frontpage bit, and I haven't paid for my Kazaa Lite.

Mind, I haven't got the latest version yet, but I haven't seen anything anywhere that says I have to pay for it.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    DLLs are generally stored in the Windows\System directory (or System32). Either that, or the same directory that the program's EXE file is in.
  7. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    KazaaLight is free and has no adware...been using it for months.
  8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    That is true!
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    100% correct.

everyone who uses kazaa really needs to either do what lo-end says or get kazaa lite. i work tech support for a large dorm community and get multiple calls a day from people who's computers are blue screening randomly, not booting etc, and removing kazaa + running adaware fixes the problem.
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Running Ad-Aware also removes all other spyware that might have snuck on your computer so it's kinda useful, even if you use Kazaa Lite.

I think I clean around dozen spyware components every month or so.

PS. Anyone know how to get rid of so-called WinXP 'desktop spam', the ads that open up even if you're not using web browser ATM? I think there was some tweak to do at Windows security options or so, did that but they still keep appearing :confused: :mad:
  11. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Kazaa lite might not have any adware, but I know it has some spyware on it.

Yeah, the file is probably in windows\system I should have checked. But you should do a search anyway if youre doing that whole thing.
  12. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Thanks for the tip guys. I love Kazaa but had removed it because of my system getting hammered every week. Now everything's groovy!

Okay, okay... so I'm listening to disco... sue me!!
  13. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Check this out:

It was the first thing I did when I installed XP Pro.
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well if it does then AdAware doesn't detect on my computer.

brad cook
  15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
  16. joelhike07

Feb 15, 2003
    i've got regular kazaa and have been using it for about a year, had all the updates, and have never had to pay for it.:D

[p.s. these little smilies are cool :bassist: ]
  17. Kazaalite lets me download all my....favorite......movies.......ugh.....yeah.....

:eek: :eek: :bag:

18. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    theres something better than ad aware. its called spybot search and destroy. i forgot i had the program and found this little file called spybot search and destroy and it scared me for a minute. mind you i've got so many files im always finding something "new".
  19. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I knew of this fix, but thanks greatly for putting this up. I still don't have kazaa, but might get it.

Those of you who know a lot about this, like jason: if you do use adaware to remove the stuff, and use the dummy *.dll will you be 100% safe from the evils of spyware and such?
  20. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    k-lite is still safer, theres also the bde player with kazaa (not-lite) which is another spyware and i think it acts as slagware also. and you can use sig2dat with k-lite which is a plus. its a program that makes a signature of a file that you can share so that others can d/l the same file without searching for it, it usually has users in the file so you get a full search of users included with the d/l.