Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those of you who've had thermal shutdown issues on a Stew 1.2...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DLM, Jun 21, 2005.

1. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    ...I assume that was when running a 4-ohm load in bridge mode.

I'm running two 4-ohm cabs, with a cab powered by each channel. Are the odds of shutdown now greatly reduced?

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    yes, i run mine 4 ohm bridge mono. but let me clarify that it was some pretty extreme tropical conditions & very high volume that caused my 1.2 to shut off. I dont want to give the amp a bad rap.

Look at the specs & you should be able to answer your own question

350W x 2 @ 4 Ohms

1200W x 1 @ 4 Ohms

3. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    I got rid of my stew 1.2 a while ago just for this reason. It would shut down within the first minute of playing, even at low volumes, and while I was still warming it up! Thought I was pushing an Acme LowB4. It may have been a bad combination b/c of the Acme being such an inefficient cab, but nonetheless, I'll never own another 1.2.

At a gig, my amp shutdown in the middle of a set. Had to stop and switch rigs from one of the other bands. Embarassing, to say the least. I don't care how light or powerful an amp is, if it's not reliable then what's the use?

Later switched to a QSC PLX 1200 watt amp, same power rating as the Stew, and that one never had any problems. Just my experience, though. Others have never had this happen to them. Maybe just my bad luck. I was so disappointed since this seemed like the perfect power amp, being light, powerful, and only 1 rack unit. Oh well...