1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

for those of you with power conditioners in your rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sickest beast, Mar 30, 2009.

  1. Is there any discernible difference when you plug a large all-tube bass amp into some sort of pro power conditioner versus into a power strip or even just the wall?

    The reason I'm asking is because I'm planning on purchasing a Mesa Boogie 400+ and would like to protect it from any sort of power surges or anything, but would like to know if they also have any effect on the overall volume, tone, consistency, etc. of a tube amp.

    I'm interested in something like the Furman Power Factor Pro Power Conditioner, musiciansfriend.com makes some pretty hefty claims about what it can do to improve the juice going into your rig.


    Forgive me if this has been gone over before, I did a search but didn't have much luck.
  2. JeremyJJackson


    Mar 1, 2009
    no change in volume tone at all its just the power running to your amp. It will just provide clean power with no spikes which will prolong the life of your tubes. Power condidioner are great for bars that have sketchy power. I have a furman power conditioner
  3. So it'll only make an amp sound "better" if it's already somewhat starved of current? say like at a bar with sketchy power.
  4. JeremyJJackson


    Mar 1, 2009
    well it will prevent pops from surges and it will let you know if you have enough power to play without hurting your amp so in that case yes you will sound better. but i highly recommend getting one. I prefer the rack modles but its up to you.
  5. JimmyM

    JimmyM Supporting Member

    Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nope, sorry. A power conditioner doesn't have anything more in it than a standard power strip with noise filtering, which are available at any WalMart for $45. Hell, I use tube amps and I don't even bother with the noise filtering. I just use a regular power strip that cost like $10. Works great. The only thing a power conditioner is good for over a power strip is keeping a tidy rack, and you can get a basic model for about $50-60 that will do anything a more expensive one will. Otherwise you're just paying for the lights.
  6. JeremyJJackson


    Mar 1, 2009
    Ya i just use a furman M-8x which i got for 50 bucks. It did eliminate pops and will protect against surges so thats really all i wanted it for.
  7. klyph

    klyph Supporting Member

    Mar 28, 2009
    If anything, your tube amp, because of it's transformers, is better protected against the vagaries of voltage variation (good band name!) than newer, digital amps, which really need steady 115~120 to work properly. Besides, the threat (to tube amps) is more from low voltage than spikes, and transformer-driven power conditioners that are able to BOOST voltage are expensive (that would be the $649 instead of the $389, if I read your linked ad correctly). In my area, most of the bars I play in have been recently remodeled, which means they pulled a permit, which means the electrical inpector did his job, which means they're up to code, which is STRICT here in MA. If you play lots of dives, especially in a state where the code is not so strict (deep south, some midwestern states) it may be a wise investment, but I really wouldn't bother until/unless you start noticing problems (i.e. you start eating tubes at your steady gig). Those puppies are expensive, and you might play for YEARS through a tube amp without problems.
  8. JeremyJJackson


    Mar 1, 2009
    Ya i noticed pops coming from my cab when my band was all plugged in at my drummers old house (why is practice always at the drummers they are so lazy) so i got one to protect the tubes. but since then he has a new house and we got each outlet wired to a different breaker lol so now i just have it as a racklight and use it for shows.
  9. ChrisPbass


    Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Practice is usually at the drummer's place because they have a drum set to haul.
  10. VisualShock


    Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    plug in through an RCD...? surely that would be the ultimate solution
  11. RCD?
  12. VisualShock


    Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    Residual Current Device

    it's the thing that stops you electrocuting yourself when you cut the cord on an electric lawnmower... basically stops surges. very widely available, just check your local DIY store!
  13. Gearhead17

    Gearhead17 Supporting Member

    May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I used to use my Furman Power conditioner all the time with my Mesa 400+ and now I use the 400+ without it. I don't notice any difference in sound. I just use a surge protector at the moment and it works just fine.

    My Furman Power C told me that the voltage in one venue was 130Volts. The Mesa 400+ handles this with ease plugged into a surge protector or just plugged into a wall.

    I think a $20-30 surge prtector is a good investment and you should not need much more.
  14. davio


    Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Check my sig. :bag:

    I've got all the Furman you'll ever need right here. That brick won't do much more for you except make you run to the car one extra time durring load in and out. :D
  15. RobertPaulson


    Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    Just a power strip that fits nicely in a rack, but that is a pretty handy thing to have depending on your setup.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.