For those shopping for a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by FunkySpoo, Oct 2, 2003.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  2. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The place where they are made is hard to tell, but I think there is a lot of misinformation in the opinion that this doesn't matter. There are some brands that are better than others if the brands try to keep things consistent, and hold their factories to rigid specs, and then still discard quite a few as "objects."

I do like this part:

On the other hand, observers also warn that China continues to be a source of some terrible violins, particularly the low-price models sold over the Internet. "When you get down to the $200 ones, there should be a law against selling those things," complains Bill McClain of Atlanta Street Violins in Roswell, Georgia. "They're just selling objects, not real instruments."

He says many of these cheap Chinese violins come with warped fingerboards and poorly fitted bridges and soundposts.

"The setup on them is so horrible that they're virtually unplayable," concurs Richard Ward of Ifshin Violins in Berkeley, California. "The bridges are not even fitted, they're just thrown out there." Ifshin sells its highly regarded Jay Haide line of stringed instruments, which are handmade in Chinese workshops but set up in the States.

Ward also warns of Chinese instrument makers who cut corners during construction by leaving out interior parts, or who use painted white wood, which wears out quickly, instead of ebony or rosewood for the fingerboard and pegs.

Consumers must rely on retailers to steer them toward the better instruments because of this variance in quality, the difficulty of distinguishing between good and bad violins by name, and the fact that most Chinese instruments are made and priced for student players (or their parents) who have no knowledge of what to look for in an instrument. "You have to be sure you’re at a reputable shop that knows what they're doing," Matt Zeller recommends. "You get a lot of people on the Internet who are really just selling trash."
  3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    This is the paragraph that I was reffering to.

That confusion is widespread. "It’s laughable how much rebranding and mismatching and criss-crossing is going on," adds Jason Torreano, product manager for the string brand of the Music Group (formerly Boosey & Hawkes Musical Instruments), which sells its Chinese instruments under the Andrew Schroetter brand. "I wouldn't be surprised if [a single] instrument workshop in China was producing instruments that in the U.S. are being sold under ten or 20 names."