1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Those Soft, Boring Gigs...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcblahflooper94, Jan 10, 2012.

1. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    My band plays at a coffee shop soft, all soft and acoustic-like, and I was wondering if I should get an acoustic bass. I looked at one, this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/dean-eab-fretless-acoustic-electric-bass

But then I saw this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/dean-edge-4-fretless-electric-bass-guitar/584814000001000

I'm pretty much stuck on wanting a fretless. This will be my backup, seeing as I only one "real" bass.

So my question is, does anyone own one of these/can share some background information on them. The obvious answer would probably to just get a Squire P, but I'd rather get something... different. The bass I have now fits EXACTLY what I want it to, so I'm not necessarily looking for a new bass as much as I want a backup, softer bass.
    ANY recommendations, questions or comments are very welcomed and very appreciated. Thank you for reading.

2. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    That Dean has 1 review, and it's 1 star...

3. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Ya, I know but on Guitar Center it has two very positive reviews. >.< and I'd like to hear from a talkbass member.

4. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Feb 9, 2011
    I sucked it up and bought a Washburn Stu Hamm ABG. It is really an acoustic electric crossover whatever. I use it for a happy hour gig. Our frontman always plays an acoustic, the lead, a hollow body Tele. People really dig the sound. Morever, that particular bass is actually more ballsy than my Jazz. I love it. It is very assertive, but it has very little sustain. Good for arpeg. However, unplugged it is useless. I really love it when the situation is correct. Unfortunately, that is not very often.

5. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    I see. I'd like to stay around 400$, don't want to ask for too much for my birthday (; so another question I guess would be if acoustic basses are really worth it.

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    This is purely my opinion... but, no.
    Perhaps I just havent played one that spoke to me, but for the most part Ive found every one Ive tried to be too quiet when played acoustically, unless I was playing alone.

For a small, quiet, coffee shop type gig I would just use an electric bass, with a smaller than "rock gig" type amp, god for acoustic settings.

Preferably, though, Id get an upright.

7. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    I thought so. I've heard that they were really quiet, etc. I played one that I wasn't exactly happy with. Would you suggest I get the electric fretless?

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I've had a few acoustic basses. I tried real hard to use the last one (this was back in '05), even though I preferred my fretless to it, then one day I show up to what I thought was an acoustic gig, only to find out my band leader found a lead guitarist and drummer to fill in at the last minute. I spent the whole gig not hearing myself, and thinking about how much better the fretless would have been. I sold the acoustic within a week, and haven't missed it at all.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Just to be clear, Im no authority when it comes to bass gear.
    But Id say Yes to the fretless. Ive been playing fretless almost exclusively for just about 3 years now.
    I like the sound of fretless, and I think a decent one will give you an "acoustic" kind of vibe.

I picked up a Brice 5 string Fretless from rondomusic last year for just over $300. Im not affiliated with them, but Im always willing to recommend good gear Ive come across.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I own that Dean (fretted) and a Washburn AB20, and have tried several others. The Dean is about as good as any of them, and louder than most. The electronics suck.

11. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Thank you for sharing everything, it has been much appreciated and will surely be taken into account.

12. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Does anyone know of a fretless under 400$ that doesn't have fret lines (good quality)? I know the cosmetic aspects shouldn't be relevant, but I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much.

13. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    for the semi acoustic gigs, I drag out the 12 string bass. it really sounds cool for stuff like that

14. rasbass

rasbass

Dec 29, 2002
    Upstate NY
    My experience:

I have had two of those acoustic-electric basses, one fretless, one fretted. Both played well and sounded fine for noodling or practicing, but playing with even one acoustic guitar-- not enough volume. So then I would need an amp to boost the volume and... well you might as well bring an electric.

So...I would pass on it.

15. blubolt

blubolt

May 18, 2005
    Turlock, CA
    I bought the Dean.

I returned the Dean.

I probably don't need to say more than that.

16. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

May 8, 2011
    Central NY
    Yup, I'm actually playing that acoustic Dean as we speak! (er.. type) Acousticly, it's actually got a pretty good sound, but as soon as you start playing with acoustic guitars you can't hear yourself. And the electronics do suck. I have to turn my amp almost all the way up just to be heard.

17. I use vintage low wattage tube combos for what you are talking about! And for 400 bucks you could get a decent one! Think of it this way. You already have a bass you like. You have an amp that will do the bigger stuff you do. A ABG would only be used now and again and you will have to adapt to a shorter scale instrument.

But with a low wattage tube combo (Fender bassman 20, Fender music master bass, traynor yba combos, or ?) You could not only play the cafe stuff but use to record with or for bedroom practice! Also get your feet wet with tubes with out the big $$$ for the dream rig (SVT).

18. The Lemon

The Lemon Banned

Aug 16, 2011
    Honestly, for acoustic gigs, I'd go for a semi-hollow electric first.

19. about a month back i came across an Applause fretless acoustic for 150 that i'm still kicking myself for not buying. They had some high-end acoustic on the other side of the pillar that had all the fancy inlays and a quilted top for $500 that didn't sound anywhere near as good.

I'm going to be in the market for a fretless acoustic myself for campfire playing and stuff, so i'm eager to hear what everyone has to say about the Dean EAB since there seem to be millions of them for sale (yet none around me that i can try out)

20. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    This is pretty solid advice.

I play a Dean EUB that I've put more work and dollars into than I should, and it is "okay". Very portable and with the right amp/speaker box very effective.