1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For those struggling to hear bass at gigs!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sammyp, Mar 25, 2013.

1. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    Hi Gang, I recently found myself a relatively simple in ear set up for a gig that I have a particularly hard time hearing at due to space limits and a Marshall cab right beside me! I thought I'd share..... This is kinda limited to iPhone users but here goes.

Firstly, I didn't want to bring a personal mixer and take a line from the snake etc etc.... Our drummer is the sound man so I didn't wanna get into a complete in ear mix. It's just an open mic gig.

Anyhow here's the setup- I split my signal via a stereo guitar pedal, one goes to my amp and the other goes to my I rig connected to my iPhone on my belt clip. I got the $100 shure wired in ears which are a very sturdy build. Prolly any in ear rubber pad style headphones would work.

So I just mix in the right amount of bass from the headphone out on the I rig and rock on..... The shure in ears provide excellent hearing protection and really clean the stage mix up as well as allow me to enjoy my tone far more. I can play softer and more dynamically.... Hope this helps anyone with similar difficulty hearing on stage!

2. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    in hear is the way to go

3. Cool, I'll try this as i've had need on occasion for better monitoring.
    Thanks for posting.

4. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    Good workaround.
    Just don't forget to put the phone in Airplane Mode. That is unless you want to take phone calls during the gig :)

5. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    i realized last night that i have done two gigs without airplane mode LOL .....a phone call would be alarming to say the least!