Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those that have seen SITSOM

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jazzbo, Jan 2, 2003.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Let nothing I post diminish the fact that this film has had a tremendous impact in giving credit to an unsong group of musicians whose credit was 30+ years overdue. I love Dr. Licks for what he's done and have the utmost respect for him.

What I'm wondering, is why did Berry Gordy have almost nothing to do with the film? The credits site him as a "contributor," but he was not interviewed, nor do you get the impression that he contributed anything more than legal rights to information, music, or photos. While I'm sure Berry Gordy was aware of the enormous importance, (far moreso than the artists themselves), of his musicians, writers, and producers, he has, up to this point, failed to give them their due. The perfect opportunity arose, and instead of establishing a presence that showed him as appreciative and fortunate, he was completely absent. Why? Is there that sort of rift between Gordy and the Funk Brothers?

Also, why were so few artists from that period interviewed. Blackbird and I were trying to think of those major artists that are still with us, including Smokey Robinson, (I think), Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Otis Williams, Diana Ross, and more. None of these artists, (save for an old Stevie clip), appear. Why not?

2. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    These are all great questions... I was wondering much of the same things. Especially Smokey, since he was also a key songwriter. The funk bros made his music, IMO.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Anyone??

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    My guess is that the filmmakers didn't have the "clout" to convince those people to appear on camera (i.e., it's a fairly low-budget affair with no big star power attached to it).

Berry Gordy may be a separate issue - I bet there is still a lot of acrimony there.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    side/studio musicians usually don't like record executives

i helped run a campaign with the musicians' union against a few record labels, we had to have US Congressmembers in on it to force the label to pay industry standard wages to studio musicians in the Latin industry

don't ever think that the executives care one bit about you. they don't. they really don't even care for the royalty artists, unless they are money makers.

just my $.02

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...any word when the DVD of SITSOM is due?
    (That'll be the only way I'll see it. VA sux).

Hey 'Bo-
    I just saw a Motown book at Barnes & Noble...I glanced over the writing on the back cover-
    It suggested a NOT-so pretty picture of Gordy.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    http://www.reel.com/reel.asp?node=features/interviews/M/motown

A quote from the above link, by Dr. Licks, when asked why contemporary artists were used in the movie/soundtrack:

"Nobody showed these guys any respect."

!!!

Truly, truly one of the saddest things I've ever heard.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Oh, man. This actually makes me mad.

Oh, Jazzbo, you got PM.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Isn't it the worst thing you've ever heard. I wonder who he's talking about? Stevie Wonder, Otis Williams, Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Smokey???

Maybe some of them I can believe, but Stevie???!

10. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That just makes them even greater, IMO.

And Jazzbo, I tried PMing you back, but your box if full.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Huh?

12. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, obviously, the Motown artists must feel that elevating the backup musicians will lower the public's opinion of the talent of some artists. Probably not far from the truth in some cases.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Gotcha.

14. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    That is really, really sad. I don't get it. How could that be? I wish I hadn't read that... :mad: I can't believe that people wouldn't jump at the chance to perform with those guys. Damn!! Why? Money?

btw, I just came home from seeing the movie. I thought it was great, really touching and funny and sad. I'm really glad these dudes are finally getting some recognition.

But apparently nothing even remotely close to what they deserve. What is wrong with people??

:(

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Further sadness and irony...
    according to the official website, the film isn't playing anywhere within a day's drive of me. Not in Houston, not in Dallas, not even in New Orleans. Houston and Dallas are two of the largest metropolitan areas in the US, both about midway in the top 10. New Orleans - a town with such a rich legacy of African-American music why not here??? I cannot begin to understand this.

Just have to wait for the DVD, I guess.

16. It played in Fort Worth\Dallas in december.
    I saw it on Christmas day in Fort Worth....It closed within a week... :(

17. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm glad to hear that it played there if only for a little while - it probably also played in Houston & NOLA, too, and I just made an incorrect assumption from the website.

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Another advantage to living in San Francisco.

19. But I live only 20 minutes from Texas Stadium. Home of the 5 time World Champion Dallas Cowboys.:p